Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi

I was looking around and haven't been able to fine a thread on this for this year.

I am sure people will have other ideas as to what areas we need to look at. I am doing section 5 Pollution and human health risk. So I was looking to share ideas on what people think the exam could cover.

Here is a summary of what I am thinking at the moment.

For the explore we are going to need to look at human and physical factors such as the environmental factors leading to health risk. I also think the way they have used the word Environment not physical suggested that it is going to focus on the human impacts on the environment such as Dam and road construction, Climate change and pollution.
    For the socio-economic I think it will be based around the development of a country using the levels to show what health risk occur and why for example the respiratory illnesses caused in both MEDC and LEDCs but the two differing reasons behind them.

I think that the research is going to focus on our cases studies and comparing and contrasting the different levels of development (MEDC, NIC, LEDC) and the areas levels (national, local) as well as looking at Rural and urban differences and how they effect health risk.

If people think I am wrong pleases comment, that way we can all benefit and try to second guess the examboard.

Dr Tux

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    im doing this topic too, what are the case studies you're gonna use?
    i was thinking of;
    HIV
    Malaria
    Cholera
    Heart Disease

because theres a fairly broad mix of environmental, social and economic causes.

Obviously i'll add some other small ones in here and there, but those the main ones

ReputationRep:
    I think there is also a possibibility that they could ask about the cause of health risk: so:
    poverty- increasing risk of diease eg: cholera zimbawea outbreak and prehpas malaria.
    increased affluence - lifestyle diease, people living longer look at alzihmers....
    increased air travel- bring in swine flu
    ect...
    prehaps also look at country facing double burden of diease, so increasing health risk. - China polluted river 2 and 4 of omrams model.
    socioeconomic- .......................
    look at increasing life expectency increase degerative diease.
    ANYONE ANYMORE IDEAS????

Hi sorry for the slow reply been away for xmas.

I hadn't thought of heart disease.

I was planning on using china as an example of rural and urban levels as well as for standard LEDC, MEDC for the other parts were it asks for different levels, so using UK NHS and USA and probably Cuba for LEDC.

I was also going to look at causes at different levels so things effecting people personally such as life style choices (MEDC mainly) and local government provisions. then looking at the type of health service and then on to national environmental risk factors such as geophysical location and how that could effect the health risks.

I was also thinking the as they have use the word environmental they are wanting us to look as economic Social and Environmental causes of health risk so i was going to split the risks up into human and physical risks and having a linking one were human actions have lead to environmental changes, such as the construction of dams leading to more area for water born diseases such as cholera and bilharzia, as well as risk from general water pollution.

On the human site I was thinking of globalization and the shrinking world but i had forgotten the swine flu example so thx.

I had also through of using the Indian floods and the Haiti Earthquake, Floods and Cholera as a case study.

I was also looking as pollution in MEDC's being the area they might target as they otherwise are limited to degenerative problems.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they will ask at all about management as that was the june paper. however it is probably worth having a look at. Although you could look at a sucess story of a concered diease likle smallpox? I think the question could be something like: "to what extent do health risks effect contrasting locations and areas with differing levels of development?"
    This means that we will need to look at areas that are effected by development- so degenerative dieases and then also look at case studies that the risk is similar in MEDCs and LEDCs such as smoking and lung cancer and HIV. you could then bring in the sucsess of management minimising the health risk for example the control of HIV/AIDs in Australlia and compare it to somewhere in Africa.
    MAKE SURE YOU BRING IN MODELS LIKE OMRAM.
    for enviromental you could look at: dams, canals and irrigation, argicvultural intensification, urbanisation, defortastion and increased rainfall increasing pools perfect for mosquitto breeding!!!
    do you no any other case studies where health risk is not effected by much??
    any more ideas??
    m

That dose make sense what your saying about them not looking at the management, I didn't know it was in the last exam so it would make sense for it not to be repeated.

for case studies with little health risk I would probably use Cuba and Japan as an LEDC MEDC comparison as Both score highly on health care. I might also talk about indigenous peoples and how their health risk only increases when they are exposed to others.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone chosen to look @ the culture option? if so what case studies were you using?
    Personally, I'm going to be checking up on Abu Dhabi and China for how values change landscapes, North Korea and Plaid Cymru for preservation, McDonalds and Disney for media companies & Hackney and North Norfolk to show contrasting locations in a country.

Any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Ah I'm doing this paper but for the cultural geography looking at external threats and internal vulnerabilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicejaneb)
    Has anyone chosen to look @ the culture option? if so what case studies were you using?
    Personally, I'm going to be checking up on Abu Dhabi and China for how values change landscapes, North Korea and Plaid Cymru for preservation, McDonalds and Disney for media companies & Hackney and North Norfolk to show contrasting locations in a country.

Any other ideas?
    I'm doing that one. We don't get a choice in my school we are just told that we are doing this one. Are you glad this one came up? I wanted the environment and culture but it isn't that one .
    I have way too many case studies to use...I keep looking in my National Geographic magazines and seem to find a new one. Then there are the ones we've done in class. I'm doing my local area for one, something about because its a small place not much is being done to protect the culture apart from those living there. I need to think of an MEDC as well as my local area to do. Then I seem to have loads of little tribes I want to do but I can't do them all so I need to choose which ones to do.

We kinda got to choose but we were persuaded towards the one the school suggested, even thought it wasn't the one the teachers preferred. We chose human health as it gave us a more balanced A level between human and physical.

I can't really comment on your units case studies etc. but I can say I was suggested to look at recent news and articles and use them not the generic one that you can fine as it makes your essay a more interesting read and therefore the examiner is more likely to be generous.

I know people doing human health have to use recent events as case studies as it said so in the pre release.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this exam but the rural tourism option.. we did a mock yesterday and i ran out of time so I'm quite worried about it now :/

I just retook the unit 2 exam and did a similar thing but I am hoping that I can better manage there time if I only have to write one essay.

I am just going to plan for about 10 mins and then spend the other 80 writing.
    I was thinking spending about;
    • 5-10 mins on intro
    • 20 mins on methodology :confused: ( I still don't quite get what I am suppose to put here. )
    • 30 mins on analysis
    • and 20 mins on conclusion

What do people think to this plan?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    In the Phillip Allan book (i think) it had a plan that went like this;
    5 mins on plan
    10 mins on intro
    50-60 on main analysis (which i assume includes methodology)
    and 15 mins on conclusion and final check

definately think the main analysis needs the most time spent on it, hope this helps!

That is a different way to look at it thanks.

My problem is I am terrible at sticking to time so I need to spend more time on the plan but I can see you point the analysis is where the bulk of the marks are any ways

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowlo18)
    I'm doing this exam but the rural tourism option.. we did a mock yesterday and i ran out of time so I'm quite worried about it now :/
    HI
    mee too
    what case studys are you using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca...)
    HI
    mee too
    what case studys are you using?
    We did fieldwork at Cheddar Gorge so that,
    then: Cairngorms national park
    Donald Trumps golf course in Scotland
    Galapagos Islands
    Santa Lucia Cloud Forest in Ecuador
    Antarctica

what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm doing the pollution and human health report section next tuesday!!
    I think the important thing to remember is the lay-out... there are a huge amount of marks for setting it out like a report: sub-titles for the Intro/Body sections/Conclusion, references after factual statements, graphs with labelled figures etc.

The mark scheme is reaaalllly helpful to look at to know how to set it out!

I have just been revising the sections MEDCs NICs and LEDCs - and the socio-economic and environmental causes that influence health risk e.g Income, Levels of Healthcare, Education, State of Poverty, The post-code lottery in the UK, pollution, climate change and water/sanitation levels.

Do you think i'm planning for the right things?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shippers09)

I have just been revising the sections MEDCs NICs and LEDCs - and the socio-economic and environmental causes that influence health risk e.g Income, Levels of Healthcare, Education, State of Poverty, The post-code lottery in the UK, pollution, climate change and water/sanitation levels.

Do you think i'm planning for the right things?!?!
    what diseases are you doing? are you doing your report by each factor?
    sounds good to me!

also, how many and what models is everyone doing health gonna use?

It depends on the question

The main ones we looked at as a class were

Heart disease--MEDC(UK) effects the poor high treatment--NIC(China)--Cultural infiltration effect rich people (western)--LEDC 6th highest cause of death in Sub Saharan Africa-- Not reported

Malaria (MEDC~Australia NIC~India LEDC-Uganda-- only pure environmental cause--spread by Global Warming(GW)--ability to cope is effected by Socio economic Status (SES)

Cholera ( MEDC~Australia NIC~China LEDC-Haiti)

Skin Cancer (MEDC-Australia LEDC-Not reported) Ozone(CFC and GW)

Lung cancer (NIC-China industrialization MEDC-UK London traffic LEDC-Housing Quality SES

Obesity (NIC-China Western Culture MEDC-Lifestyle choice and poverty LEDC anomaly Pacific islands Culture) SES

We also through we could throw in Diabetes type 2 as a lifestyle choice.

Swine flu (globalization-rich people can fly-MEDC- LEDC-poor living/working conditions, lacking health and safety

Measles (Chad not in MEDC due to vaccination)

You can link all of this to ORAN's model of epidemiological transition, although depending on whether the questions asks about Risk or factors the model only shows what types occur at each stage of development.

For the report I plan to do

Introduction define key terms
    Cases Studies to use What and Why (this is part of methodology)
    Model (if applicable)
    Comment on the complexity of the question/title
    Analysis paragraphs commenting on case studies and linking them back to question, concluding each point made. (concluding as you go to get conclusion makes in case you don't finish) (when using facts comment immediately on the source and its bias)
    Conclusion say what you points are and say what you decision is and the reason why.

Sources I plan on using are

BBC (unbiased theoretically wide range of sources)
    WHO (unbiased) [my main source]
    China Today (likely to be poor quality as lacking freedom of speech)
    The Lancet (scientific journal)
    National Geographic (slight bias from reporter)
    The Guardian (slight bias from reporter)
    The Independent (slight bias from reporter)
    NHS (unbiased)
    Wikipedia (and state why you don't trust it)

NGOs
    (MSF) Medical Sans Frontiers(unbiased)
    World AID Day (slight bias work for their cause)
    Red Cross (unbiased)
    Act Cancer (slight bias work for their cause)
    malaria.org (slight bias work for their cause)

Only question is what facts are people planning on using, I can't remember many of them so if all else fails I am going to make them up and source them but do people have a list of the one they are going to remember?

Ben

Ps. sorry for long post I was using this for revision

ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely so jealous that you get to do the health one, hahaa.
    We're doing the rural landscapes one, and to be fair, the question is sooo boring!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.