Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I used to have Vista running on my laptop, and it used to say I had used a lot more disc space than I actually had (even after deleting cookies, temp files and everything else). I know the OS probably takes up a fair bit of room but even still, when I took my actual files off they were only 24GB (my 132Gb hard drive was showing as almost full). A few months back I did a complete wipe of my computer and upgraded to Windows 7. There was no files on my computer except the installation files. Ive still not put all the files I have back onto my computer - Probably only about 16GB worth onto my C drive, It says Ive used a total of 34GB Ive no idea if thats right, However my D drive is showing as 4GB used and there appears to be absolutely nothing on it. On top of that Im meant to have a 160GB hard drive but its only showing as 147GB if you add the totals. - My Hard Drive does have a fault on it (Dell say the error code means it needs to be replaced) so I don't know if this is why?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there isn't a 'windows.old' folder left from when you upgraded the OS? Also, although the HDD is nominally 160GB, it will show up as less because of a difference in how windows and the disk manufacturers measure the size: the OS will typically measure 1GB as 10243 bytes rather than 10003, giving 149GB... there might also be a hidden dell recovery partition or similar. Is the D drive a separate drive or a partition? Windows itself will take up around 15-20GB, so 34GB used sounds about right with your files.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    Are you sure there isn't a 'windows.old' folder left from when you upgraded the OS? Also, although the HDD is nominally 160GB, it will show up as less because of a difference in how windows and the disk manufacturers measure the size: the OS will typically measure 1GB as 10243 bytes rather than 10003, giving 149GB... there might also be a hidden dell recovery partition or similar. Is the D drive a separate drive or a partition? Windows itself will take up around 15-20GB, so 34GB used sounds about right with your files.
    No I completely deleted all the .old files. The D drive is a partition of the main drive, 15GB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    I used to have Vista running on my laptop, and it used to say I had used a lot more disc space than I actually had (even after deleting cookies, temp files and everything else). I know the OS probably takes up a fair bit of room but even still, when I took my actual files off they were only 24GB (my 132Gb hard drive was showing as almost full). A few months back I did a complete wipe of my computer and upgraded to Windows 7. There was no files on my computer except the installation files. Ive still not put all the files I have back onto my computer - Probably only about 16GB worth onto my C drive, It says Ive used a total of 34GB Ive no idea if thats right, However my D drive is showing as 4GB used and there appears to be absolutely nothing on it. On top of that Im meant to have a 160GB hard drive but its only showing as 147GB if you add the totals. - My Hard Drive does have a fault on it (Dell say the error code means it needs to be replaced) so I don't know if this is why?
    Start> all programs> accessories> system tools> disk cleanup> C:\ > more options> system restore and shadow copies - clean up

I have this, vista creates restore points and shadow copies for backup and it takes up huge amounts of space. That should solve the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple_head)
    Start> all programs> accessories> system tools> disk cleanup> C:\ > more options> system restore and shadow copies - clean up

I have this, vista creates restore points and shadow copies for backup and it takes up huge amounts of space. That should solve the problem.
    I delete that quiet often, I normally run CCleaner to delete everything off, doesn't normally make much of a difference - when running vista I used to be able to delete a couple of GB at a time from memory dump, but now a days I normally end up removing a couple of MB

ReputationRep:
    The error code could mean part of your drive has failed hence why you have less memory than actually available. this failure often spreads to the rest of the drive, so it's generally a good idea to replace it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    The error code could mean part of your drive has failed hence why you have less memory than actually available. this failure often spreads to the rest of the drive, so it's generally a good idea to replace it.
    Yeah the hard drive is failing - its got 'bad' sectors and 'damaged' sectors on it, all in all though it seems to work ok the majority of the the time since I got rid of vista.
    Ive backed up all my files but Ive resigned myself to the fact it isn't worth paying out for a new hard drive. It only cost £350 new, its over 3 years old now and its pretty much falling apart - only spent a tenner getting a new mains cable for it. Other than that the battery is dead, the cd drive doesn't work, the touch pad is dodgy, its missing quiet a few keys, the fan is dodgy...Think Ill just have to wait for it to die and get a new one

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the hard drive is failing - its got 'bad' sectors and 'damaged' sectors on it, all in all though it seems to work ok the majority of the the time since I got rid of vista.
    Ive backed up all my files but Ive resigned myself to the fact it isn't worth paying out for a new hard drive. It only cost £350 new, its over 3 years old now and its pretty much falling apart - only spent a tenner getting a new mains cable for it. Other than that the battery is dead, the cd drive doesn't work, the touch pad is dodgy, its missing quiet a few keys, the fan is dodgy...Think Ill just have to wait for it to die and get a new one
    Christmas is the best time some of the best deal around right now.
    I have to agree about vista though. I moved to windows 7 earlier this year and I find its much better at managing my hard drive than vista was, particularly with backround defragging, Although I still prefer Ubuntu alot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=14&subcat=896

Could always just go for something fairly cheap...

ReputationRep:
    Download and run http://windirstat.info/ as an administrator and have a poke around. If you're still unsure about what's taking up the space, expand the top level of each drive and post a screenshot here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    Christmas is the best time some of the best deal around right now.
    I have to agree about vista though. I moved to windows 7 earlier this year and I find its much better at managing my hard drive than vista was, particularly with backround defragging, Although I still prefer Ubuntu alot of the time.
    If I was rich - or even had any money I would get a new one like a shot, but alas being a final year student its hard enough to pay the bills let alone get a new comp - can't really even afford to repair it, at least I know if it does die a copy of my dissertation is saved on the OH's Mac and I can always use his somewhat battered old laptop if worse come to the worse (the screen is hanging off on one side!).

So many times I almost smashed up my laptop with vista it would lock up/freeze at least 4 or 5 times a day - let alone just generally not work, Windows 7 has been an absolute life saver, I don't think its crashed once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Download and run http://windirstat.info/ as an administrator and have a poke around. If you're still unsure about what's taking up the space, expand the top level of each drive and post a screenshot here

Ok my D drive reckons it has pagefile.sys on it which is taking up 2.3GB - safe to delete?

ReputationRep:
    Ok my D drive reckons it has pagefile.sys on it which is taking up 2.3GB - safe to delete?
    By no means is it safe to delete the page file. In fact you wouldn't be able to if it was in use. The page file is necessary for your computer to function (usually).
    Go to control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> under 'performance' press 'settings' -> go to the advanced tab -> under virtual memory press change
    Can you give a summary of the options that are checked and what it says in the listing of your drives here?

But, just rereading your initial post, I think 37GB is not unreasonable for the C drive.

ReputationRep:
    By no means is it safe to delete the page file. In fact you wouldn't be able to if it was in use. The page file is necessary for your computer to function (usually).
    Go to control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> under 'performance' press 'settings' -> go to the advanced tab -> under virtual memory press change
    Can you give a summary of the options that are checked and what it says in the listing of your drives here?

But, just rereading your initial post, I think 37GB is not unreasonable for the C drive.
    It says my C drive is set to 'system managed' but my D drive is set to 'no page file size' so Ive no idea why its coming up on my D drive in that case

ReputationRep:
    It says my C drive is set to 'system managed' but my D drive is set to 'no page file size' so Ive no idea why its coming up on my D drive in that case
    Are you sure these are the exact words? The button should be something like 'no paging file'. If this is the case, then try permanently deleting it on windirstat (i.e. not to recycle bin). If it goes then that's a reasonable indication it wasn't being used.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure these are the exact words? The button should be something like 'no paging file'. If this is the case, then try permanently deleting it on windirstat (i.e. not to recycle bin). If it goes then that's a reasonable indication it wasn't being used.
    Its gone now

ReputationRep:
    Its gone now
    Are you ok with your space now or do you want to see what can be done on C:?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.