Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A good friend of mine, Anthony, wants me to travel up to Woodstock in Oxford to go to this cheese and wine social evening with him. I wouldn't mind going, but it lasts too long (05:00 - 01:00) and will be full of pompous people I don't know. Plus there will be “social games” and “pleasant music” which just sounds odd imo.

I already said yes, because I felt awkward, and he has arranged the train for me as well as a space in the home in which the wine evening is taking place (it's like a stately home). I tried one excuse yesterday by telling him that I have a bad leg from swimming, but he thought I was joking (poor excuse I know). Is it too late to get out of it? Are there any excuses? Really can't be bothered to go anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Go and if anything humour it and play up...you'll enjoy it as long as you don't take it too seriously. Just be yourself, do you know what the 'dress code' is for the evening? So that you don't feel too out of place and just have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony19)
    Go and if anything humour it and play up...you'll enjoy it as long as you don't take it too seriously. Just be yourself, do you know what the 'dress code' is for the evening? So that you don't feel too out of place and just have fun.
    Yeah they've gone the full works and introduced a Dinner Suit dress code. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i doubt everyone there will be pompous, there might be some intelligent interesting people there who have more to say than what was on x factor. but i guess it depents what you like to talk about. sounds like your friend really wants you to go anyway, can you be easilly replaced? he might not want to go alone and it would be a bit tight if you left him. you could always pull a sicky, but if you do go and have a bad time the world isnt going to eat you up.

ReputationRep:
    Go and enjoy yourself matey

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would give this party a shot... and not everyone is pompous, there maybe some really nice people there... try it out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Yeah they've gone the full works and introduced a Dinner Suit dress code. :rolleyes:
    And do you have a dinner suit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony19)
    And do you have a dinner suit?
    Yeah, luckily!

ReputationRep:
    OK i probably have to go now. He called up giggling saying his Mum just ironed his dinner suit lol!

ReputationRep:
    Full works would be tops and tails my dear boy, Dinner Suit is fairly relaxed :p:

Go, it will be a laugh. I think you are making assumptions which you shouldn't be making, and if it is as **** as you think, then you can use it as a good story afterwards :rolleyes:

Don't be boring :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    Full works would be tops and tails my dear boy, Dinner Suit is fairly relaxed :p:

Go, it will be a laugh. I think you are making assumptions which you shouldn't be making, and if it is as **** as you think, then you can use it as a good story afterwards :rolleyes:

Don't be boring :p:
    I'm just picturing Vivaldi playing out loud and chaps sipping wine. You can go instead!

ReputationRep:
    I'm just picturing Vivaldi playing out loud and chaps sipping wine. You can go instead!
    I totally will, but ONLY. . . if i can borrow your Dinner Suit :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Just turn up in a tracksuit and muddy nike trainers and be all "alryt maaaaate what's goin on ere then? ah sweet, f***** love a bit of free booze, let's get f***** smashed out of our faces!"

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should pull out. If he's gone to all the trouble to arrange your train and your place there, then it would be a bit unfair for you to make a last minute excuse. Plus, he's your friend so even if you don't enjoy the actual event, surely you will enjoy being with him?

ReputationRep:
    I totally will, but ONLY. . . if i can borrow your Dinner Suit :sexface:
    Sure! Here:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Just turn up in a tracksuit and muddy nike trainers and be all "alryt maaaaate what's goin on ere then? ah sweet, f***** love a bit of free booze, let's get f***** smashed out of our faces!"
    Hahaha

(Original post by OrangeSocks)
    I don't think you should pull out. If he's gone to all the trouble to arrange your train and your place there, then it would be a bit unfair for you to make a last minute excuse. Plus, he's your friend so even if you don't enjoy the actual event, surely you will enjoy being with him?
    He's alright. Bit of a Mummies boy. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sure! Here:
    I'm gonna look so hot :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna look so hot :sexface:
    Indeed. I love wearing it...makes people look at me like this > :sexface:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.