The Student Room Group

21 and a change of plan....

Hi all, im new to this so please forgive me for any mistakes and if im in the wrong forum!!!
Im 21, in a full time job and have realised that i screwed up my education at school and should have gone on to study a-levels. I basically messed around but some how got BB in science double award, B English Lit, B English Lang and C in maths (all gcse).

I would like to do a level in Maths (i know i only got a C, but i enjoy it), economics and a couple of others. However, as i didnt get top grades at GCSE, would this stop me from going to the top 10-15 universities in the UK?

Would it also matter that im 21, messed around in and out of jobs and that maybe i will do my a levels from home?

As extras, i completed an engineering apprenticeship and currently doing my guitar music grades.

Many thanks.
Depends what you want to study at university. Some places offer access courses which might entail studying to the equivalent of an A-level without having to do the A-level itself. I know on my course some of my friends didn't have A-levels so did these access courses. Do a little research in to this. If you wanted to go to one of the "top 10-15 universities" then i am sure they are not going to care as much, by this i mean that if you have some GCSEs and then go on to get decent A-level grades and can explain why you have changed your mind now (your more mature, you want more from life etc) then chances are they would give you an offer. But again i emphasize that this is dependent on what university you choose and what course you are interested in.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest