Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been hearing a rumour recently about being able to get a maintenance grant even if I am not eligible through means testing. I have been told if i get both of my parents to send letters to Student Finance England stating they will not be supporting me financially over the academic year I may be able to receive a grant.

I was just wondering if anyone could clarify if this was actually possible or simply just a rumour.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    Just a rumor, anyone could say their parents aren't supporting them and then get help!! Sorry pal

ReputationRep:
    You can get a letter from the doctor to say that you are not living at home and won't receive financial help - then you will be classed as independent and your own income will be assessed and as you haven't got a job or high paying job you will get the full amount.

You may need a letter from your parents saying you are no longer welcome at their home and they will not be funding you through university.

Both have to be sent off with application as proof.

ReputationRep:
    Estrangement is a lot harder to prove than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Estrangement is a lot harder to prove than that.
    No its not.

I know 3 current students who've done it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I doubt it'll work - after all why would they bother means testing it if all you had to do was claim that they weren't supporting you? But it's worth a go if you think it's possible. What have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of other students' parents dont support them financially, for whatever reasons. Seems a bit extreme to get a doctors notes and to lie about your parents just for extra cash. Think you'll be wasting your time personally.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/s...tudy#estranged

Students under 25 years of age who are estranged from their parents

You may meet this condition if, but not only if, you can prove that you have had no contact whatsoever with either of your parents for at least a year. In certain cases, it may be possible to prove that you are irreconcilably estranged without having to show that you have not been in contact for at least a year. Proving estrangement from your parents is not easy. It is not enough to say that you do not get on with your parents or that you have recently argued with them. Your parents unwillingness to fill in income assessment forms for your award, or to pay their contribution to your award, does not show that you are estranged. Each case is assessed on its merits. This provision is only used in very exceptional circumstances. Student Finance England will normally require some form of reliable, independent evidence of the estrangement. For example, this might be in the form of police or social services reports or evidence from the Jobcentre Plus.

If you feel that you are genuinely and irreconcilably estranged from your parents, please make an appointment with one of the Student Advisers to discuss your circumstances and the type of evidence you could present to Student Finance England

The eligibility rules are complex so if you are unsure whether you meet the criteria for eligibility for student support contact the Student Advice Service for further information.

---

2 of my mates had a letter from the doctor and from parents.
    1 had a letter from Job Centre and Social Worker.

I recommended the doctor route as I know 2 people who've had success with it.

Also note it here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...rted/DG_189553

If you are estranged from your parents

You should submit:
    a signed letter from a tutor, teacher or social worker

the more evidence the better. Its not that hard really.

ReputationRep:
    you can prove that you have had no contact whatsoever with either of your parents for at least a year.

takes a bit more than a doctor saying your parents won't make a contribution!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.