Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In Dublin for a few hours - What to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon people!

Long story short, I'm working in Dublin on Monday so I'll be getting a flight out from Heathrow in the early morning. The actual work shouldn't take longer than 4 hours so I think I'll have some free time (3hrs max). Anyone recommend anything to do, see or buy?

Thanks,
    dc1990

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Ireland and try to avoid Dublin as much as possible, because it's a terrible terrible city, but, if you have no choice, I'd recommend checking out Temple Bar.

There's usually something going on there, trad bands and stuff like that.

Otherwise, the Savoy is a pretty decent cinema, (Rare bExports is a great film, a comedy/horror where Santa is the villain!).

If you're in the mood for a bit of culture, get a bus to Kilmainham and get a tour or the gaol, that's where Padraic Pearse, James Connolly etc, (kind of like our answer to George Washington or Pancho Villa!) where kept before their execution..or even The Abbey theatre, founded by WB Yeats and Lady Gregory.

Otherwise, just wander around aimlessly.

ReputationRep:
    Start at the top of O'Connell St., walk down it, look at the Christmas displays in the GPO.... then cross the street and look at the displays in Clerys. Then walk to Grafton St [you have to cross the river], which is only a ten minute walk.... and just walk up Grafton St. to St. Stephen's Green.... Dublin at this time of year is all about the christmas lights and window displays in shop windows.

ReputationRep:
    When I was there I grabbed some food from Dunnes (because of the notoriously expensive restaurants) and took a cruise on the Liffey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dc1990)
    Afternoon people!

Long story short, I'm working in Dublin on Monday so I'll be getting a flight out from Heathrow in the early morning. The actual work shouldn't take longer than 4 hours so I think I'll have some free time (3hrs max). Anyone recommend anything to do, see or buy?

Thanks,
    dc1990
    I think that the Temple Bar is a must and definitely a highlight of any trip to Dublin. Apart from that, Dublin has beautiful parks, like St. Stephen´s Green that I think you should visit and maybe you can also take a walk around the incredible and famous St. Patrick´s Cathedral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanafterall)
    I'm from Ireland and try to avoid Dublin as much as possible, because it's a terrible terrible city
    Really? I found it to be quite alright. Then again, I live in Southampton, which is a depressingly poor city.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the cinema

ReputationRep:
    Might as well just read a book with that amount of time, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dc1990)
    Afternoon people!

Thanks,
    dc1990

Head to St.Stephens green. There's a pub called o'donoghue's thats got alot of history. Grab a few pints and have a chat with some of the locals/tourists.

Agree that Dublin is an awful place.

(Original post by Zürich)
      Head to St.Stephens green. There's a pub called o'donoghue's thats got alot of history. Grab a few pints and have a chat with some of the locals/tourists.

Agree that Dublin is an awful place.
      Why is it an awful place?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Why is it an awful place?

It's a very ugly city, up there with Helsinki as the ugliest capital in Europe. I know alot of Dubliners I get on well with but Dublin has huge numbers of chavs/D4s, neither group I want to spent time around.

There's not really alot to do in Dublin. Whenever I've had reason to be there I can't wait to leave.
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.