Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So yeah iv got offers for both for psychology. Both the same grades and both are on par when it comes to league tables. So really, I want to make my decision on quality of teaching but also on how nice the campus's are and what the nightlife is like?! any opinions would be great thanks

ReputationRep:
    They're not on a par - Nottingham is a more esteemed university than southampton, regardless of league tables. If you want league table proof check the international rather than national rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luisaxxx)
    So yeah iv got offers for both for psychology. Both the same grades and both are on par when it comes to league tables. So really, I want to make my decision on quality of teaching but also on how nice the campus's are and what the nightlife is like?! any opinions would be great thanks
    Hey

My friend is at Nottingham University at the moment doing Psychology and absolutely loves it. She says the night life is great.

Hope this kind of helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calmallama)
    They're not on a par - Nottingham is a more esteemed university than southampton, regardless of league tables. If you want league table proof check the international rather than national rankings.
    i meant on par for my course. actually southampton is a few places higher than nottingham

ReputationRep:
    Now and over the past 2 decades Nottingham has ranked higher domestically and internationally, has higher entry standards, more targeted by leading employers (esp globally) and is more famous abroad.

It is also regarded as having the nicest campus in the UK (won more green flag awards than any other) and the Virgin Alternative guie regularily ranks Nottingham in the top 3 unis for student life.

There is a reason Nottingham is always in the top 5 most applied to unis, hence i would pick it over Southampton in a heart beat.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go and visit them and choose yourself? You might find that you can instantly feel yourself being at one of the unis more than the other or find something which you really like. I was in the same situation when I was deciding upon unis but I visited the final one which was one of the ones I was choosing between and I really didn't like it which made my choice easy.

ReputationRep:
    having gone to Nottingham and gone out several times in Southampton and at the uni, I can confirm that in terms of campus, living environment, local facilities and nightlife, Notts craps all over Soton from a great height. It also has the better reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham deffinately... Southampton would be my insurance

ReputationRep:
    Id pick Nottingham if I were you but its personal preference! Congrats on your offers btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luisaxxx)
    i meant on par for my course. actually southampton is a few places higher than nottingham
    For Psych? Notts hands down. Must better department.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the above posters. Nottingham's reputation is more solid over all and goes back years. Southampton seems to have crept up the league tables more recently and although it is also a good uni I think Nottingham is the stronger choice.

ReputationRep:
    Hey i've applied for Nottingham and Manchester, and got the same offer form both.
    Really need help figuring out which uni is better, and which id enjoy myself more at!! please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anushkaa)
    Hey i've applied for Nottingham and Manchester, and got the same offer form both.
    Really need help figuring out which uni is better, and which id enjoy myself more at!! please help
    Visit them both, see which one you prefer the look of - include things like campus and accomodation into your thinking.

Read up on the syllabus and structure of your subject, and see which one looks more interesting to you.

Weigh up other factors less, like do they offer a year abroad or do they offer anything else that particularly interests you.

Both are in awesome cities, and your social life would be incredible at both.
    Ignore the rankings, they're basically meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    So just for curiosity! Which one you end up choosing please

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.