Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who introduced you to your music tastes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just been sifting through my parents LP collection and found we have almost an identical music taste :cool:...despite the fact neither my mother or father never introduced me to music, and I found out my own tastes on my own or through recommendations from friends. But yes, it is a bit odd how similar our tastes actually are.

So like the question says, who introduced you, was it parents/siblings/friends etc?

ReputationRep:
    My best friends, my parents, siblings and myself - I think I can be quite lazy when it comes to discovering new music but I think if my friends and family weren't so keen on showing me their music then I would probably make more of an effort to discover it for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Myself :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Also: I wonder why my parents never introduced me to this music?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattt_452)
    I've just been sifting through my parents LP collection and found we have almost an identical music taste :cool:...despite the fact neither my mother or father never introduced me to music, and I found out my own tastes on my own or through recommendations from friends. But yes, it is a bit odd how similar our tastes actually are.

So like the question says, who introduced you, was it parents/siblings/friends etc?
    a very close friend of mine introduced me to rock, my music grew from it since, although i still love rock, my collection evolved beyond rock

ReputationRep:
    Last.fm similar artists has introduced me to loads of artists I probably would have never even have considered before, but initially I think I found most of the music I like through personal searching on the internet, radio and some from friends and family.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to whatever I think is good on the radio

ReputationRep:
    one of my best friends at the time. id already started to listen to rock etc, but she took me to a heavy metal gig and i fell in love =D

ReputationRep:
    Mary Jane.:leaf::leaf::leaf:

ReputationRep:
    Linkin Park :daydreaming:

My dad and my ex have been very influencial on my music taste.

ReputationRep:
      A old friend of mine, We used to tune into Pirate Radio when we were like 11-12 and it started from there ever since then I've listened to Grime,Hip Hop,Rap

ReputationRep:
      My dad is and has always been really into music. He has well over 600 albums and a heck of a vinyl collection. So mostly when we were little he'd play us stuff. Still does sometimes. Other times I'll be walking past and hear something playing.

I've found a lot of music on my own though, introduced my dad to some stuff as well. It's a mutual thing. Can't imagine going a single day without music now.

Can't say I listen to the radio often though, tends to be stuff I really can't stand.

ReputationRep:
      Mum had great taste in music, Michael Jackson, Motown stuff, Diana Ross etc..

Brother introduced me into modern hip hop although i've taken a liking to the golden era more so now.

ReputationRep:
      My older brother, my parents, One Tree Hill and youtube :grin:.

ReputationRep:
      My dad- one of my earliest memories is singing songs by The Clash while cuddling my big teddy bear on the way to visit my Gran =P I was one badass toddler

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Emmie3303)
      My older brother, my parents, One Tree Hill and youtube :grin:.
      One Tree Hill...you are so right

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nempozpag)
      Last.fm similar artists has introduced me to loads of artists I probably would have never even have considered before, but initially I think I found most of the music I like through personal searching on the internet, radio and some from friends and family.
      Flicking through the tv channels, see some crazy guys and I'm like :lolwut:. Turns out it was slipknot. Then got listening to more bands through buying magazines.

For the more dancey type of music (not that you can't headbang to metal) I would always hear catchy songs on tv, radio etc. Suddenly I be thinking 'DAT BE SUM GOOD STUFF MAN'.

Then came last.fm, which recommended me loadsa great stuff :awesome:

Before all of that it was family, with the odd video on TV of the Prodigy which made me like them.

ReputationRep:
      A huge number of different influences. Initially parents and school friends when I was a kid, various fellow band members and friends with similar tastes over the years, radio, music tv channels, magazines, wikipedia etc etc.

ReputationRep:
      hmmmm well a friend of mine started listening to kraftwerk and told me i should
      i explored the genre a little and slowly worked my way through the formation of hip-hop whereas he went off the way of psytrance and techno and whatnot

so i dunno
      me
      or
      him

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.