Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fifa Consider Later World Cup Start...... Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/cu...start-1.999613

It was evident that this years world cup was poor, mainly because of all the world class players who underperformed. Messi didn't score a single goal, Drogba was wearing a freaking cast, Rooney didn't do jack all and Torres was recovering from a injury. It was clear that the club seasons were too close to the world cup in Africa.

Do you think it's a good idea to allow players to recover, train, and in general prepare for the next world cup?

I mean it only happens every 4 years, so why rush into things?

The players that you have mentioned, didn't score for a reason. It really isn't about the club season being too close. I don't think it would make a world of difference, or earn Rooney the Golden Boot if the WC was a bit late.

ReputationRep:
      yeah that's right, give Xavi, Iniesta and Villa more time to prepare....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S-man10)
      The players that you have mentioned, didn't score for a reason. It really isn't about the club season being too close. I don't think it would make a world of difference, or earn Rooney the Golden Boot if the WC was a bit late.
      The fact that Torres was injured during the club season was def a huge reason why he underperformed. Fair enough Rooney just had a terrible world cup however, what about Messi. Having a late world cup would have allowed Messi to train more with his Argentine team mates and would have probably changed the outcome of his worldcup. Surely a break between the end of the season and WC would enable players to get some kind of preparation sorted.

ReputationRep:
      2022 will probably be in winter anyway and it will just stay that way

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mr. Orange)
      yeah that's right, give Xavi, Iniesta and Villa more time to prepare....
      I think Spain had already prepared for the WC during the La Liga season. Those players that you've mentioned above all play for Barcelona and had a good understanding on the pitch. So that shows us that their club season played a major part in them winning the WC. Now imagine Rooney, Terry, Lampard, Cole, Heskey etc all played for the same club team. They would of had a better world cup because of the previous club season. This proves that the Spanish players had the upper hand of preparation due to the La Liga, whilst the Premier League simple hindered the English players.

A break between the club season and WC would deffo help the players.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by pinda.college)
      http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/cu...start-1.999613

It was evident that this years world cup was poor, mainly because of all the world class players who underperformed. Messi didn't score a single goal, Drogba was wearing a freaking cast, Rooney didn't do jack all and Torres was recovering from a injury. It was clear that the club seasons were too close to the world cup in Africa.

Do you think it's a good idea to allow players to recover, train, and in general prepare for the next world cup?

I mean it only happens every 4 years, so why rush into things?
      And what about Xavi, Sneijder, Ozil, Forlan, etc?
      Torres is just a crap diving transvestite, Rooney's overrated, Messi had a crap manager, blah blah blah

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dnumberwang)
      And what about Xavi, Sneijder, Ozil, Forlan, etc?
      Torres is just a crap diving transvestite, Rooney's overrated, Messi had a crap manager, blah blah blah
      Blaming Maradonna for Messi underperforming seems abit silly to me, and Torres is proabably one of the best around when he's on form.

ReputationRep:
      What's a World Cup?

Spoiler:
      Show
      i have fifa purged from my memory. international football must die

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by a_t)
      2022 will probably be in winter anyway and it will just stay that way
      Really?

I think Spain had already prepared for the WC during the La Liga season. Those players that you've mentioned above all play for Barcelona and had a good understanding on the pitch. So that shows us that their club season played a major part in them winning the WC. Now imagine Rooney, Terry, Lampard, Cole, Heskey etc all played for the same club team. They would of had a better world cup because of the previous club season. This proves that the Spanish players had the upper hand of preparation due to the La Liga, whilst the Premier League simple hindered the English players.

A break between the club season and WC would deffo help the players.
      The Spanish league finishes later than the Premier League and it didn't affect the Spaniards too much. Same can be said of the player of the tournament Diego Forlan who also carried his club team to the Europe League trophy. Saying they all play for the same club is a bit of a nonsense really as it simply isn't true. I assume this is a troll but I have replied anyway, more fool me :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Colbert)
      Really?

The Spanish league finishes later than the Premier League and it didn't affect the Spaniards too much. Same can be said of the player of the tournament Diego Forlan who also carried his club team to the Europe League trophy. Saying they all play for the same club is a bit of a nonsense really as it simply isn't true. I assume this is a troll but I have replied anyway, more fool me :facepalm2:
      I didn't say they all play for the same club team, only the Barcelona players (Spain).
      Why is everybody trying to start an argument over this proposal, surely it can only benefit the players?

ReputationRep:
      Make it in mid december just for the lols

ReputationRep:
      Blaming Maradonna for Messi underperforming seems abit silly to me, and Torres is proabably one of the best around when he's on form.
      How do explain the players whose seasons actually finished later (like Sneijder and Forlan who both had european finals) and performed well and all that?

Messi actually played fairly well in the world cup, and no Torres is ****.

ReputationRep:
      Also Colbert, if you read my post properly. I stated 'This proves that the Spanish players had the upper hand of preparation due to the La Liga'.' I didn't say it affected the Spaniards, it infact improved their performance (Because of the understanding between the players). I'm simply saying that a break would allow more time to train and prepare for the world cup, what's wrong with that?

Obviously some players don't need the preparation.

ReputationRep:
      Guys, please don't take offence with my comments. I enjoy reading your opinions and think a debate like this is better than neg repping without a reason.

ReputationRep:
      Guys, please don't take offence with my comments. I enjoy reading your opinions and think a debate like this is better than neg repping without a reason.
      No I just see this particular section as complete bull**** - something you might read in, say, the Daily Mail.

The fact that Torres was injured during the club season was def a huge reason why he underperformed. Fair enough Rooney just had a terrible world cup however, what about Messi. Having a late world cup would have allowed Messi to train more with his Argentine team mates and would have probably changed the outcome of his worldcup. Surely a break between the end of the season and WC would enable players to get some kind of preparation sorted.
        Villa was playing for Valencia, Xavi wasn't fully fit (I think), and Iniesta was injured near the end of the season. Messi plays a different role in Argentina. Torres was **** during the whole season anyhow.

That makes you point moot.

You were also forgetting that Spanish team is pre-dominantly Barcelona and Real Madrid anyhow, so that understanding has existed already. More time to prepare means nothing. One also has to look at when the next season starts. The WC is a month long tournament. The players need adequate rest before a gruelling season, rather than a tournament.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by S-man10)
        Villa was playing for Valencia, Xavi wasn't fully fit (I think), and Iniesta was injured near the end of the season. Messi plays a different role in Argentina. Torres was **** during the whole season anyhow.

That makes you point moot.
        Lol Xavi has a muscle injury (Cramp). It was just a hype for the Spanish newspapers to get a story. You say Villa, but what about Ronaldo and Kaka? Both of them play for Real Madrid and are brilliant however, soon as they go to their international teams for the WC, they underperfom. Yes there's a handful of players that did play good and aren't really going to help my thread, but that's only a handful.

'You were also forgetting that Spanish team is pre-dominantly Barcelona and Real Madrid anyhow, so that understanding has existed already. More time to prepare means nothing. One also has to look at when the next season starts. The WC is a month long tournament. The players need adequate rest before a gruelling season, rather than a tournament.'

Are you dumb? I've already stated that the understanding already exists because they're pre-dominantly Real and Barcelona players. I'm saying that a break would benefit the players who don't get to form this understanding like the Spanish

ReputationRep:
        Also Colbert, if you read my post properly. I stated 'This proves that the Spanish players had the upper hand of preparation due to the La Liga'.' I didn't say it affected the Spaniards, it infact improved their performance (Because of the understanding between the players). I'm simply saying that a break would allow more time to train and prepare for the world cup, what's wrong with that?

Obviously some players don't need the preparation.
        Yeah, my point was that it is usual (I can't be bothered to find last season's dates) for the Spanish league to go on for longer, which under this theory would mean they would struggle at the tournament. Obviously this didn't happen as the standout players all came from La Liga. Probably unrelated but it's just an observation.

My main concern is about the effects on the following season's Premier League if the tournament ran from mid-July to Mid-August. The players would then be leaving for holiday at the same time that they would usually be playing the opening day of the season.

Welcome to the football forum tbh. Don't understand why your OP got negged though, it was just opening a debate.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Colbert)
        Really?
        The idea is already being floated in FIFA http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?...ar-beckenbauer

And you can see why it would appeal to them, it would give them an even stronger grip on the footballing calender increasing their authority even more, FIFA are hardly going to turn down such an opportunity

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.