Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Britain have indirect blasphemy laws? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Through legislation and government policy, like the Religious and Racial Hatred Act?

You can be arrested for burning religious texts, upsetting theists, and so forth. Do you think, therefore, that Britain has indirect blasphemy laws? Is this something to be proud of or ashamed of?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. And ashamed.

http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/

ReputationRep:
      bump

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      Through legislation and government policy, like the Religious and Racial Hatred Act?

You can be arrested for burning religious texts, upsetting theists, and so forth. Do you think, therefore, that Britain has indirect blasphemy laws? Is this something to be proud of or ashamed of?
      i guess it's anything that incites hatred
      against disabled people too i'd presume and so on,
      but i think boundaries are needed or we'll end up with an anarchist society

ReputationRep:
      There shouldn't be. What happened to freedom of expression? lol....

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't say that blasphemy is illegal, at least I hope not. I think that a line needs to be drawn between insulting a group, and advocating it's destruction, which is what the legislation targets.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sandys1000)
      I wouldn't say that blasphemy is illegal, at least I hope not. I think that a line needs to be drawn between insulting a group, and advocating it's destruction, which is what the legislation targets.
      Depends what you mean by advocating its destruction. Its one thing to advocate the destruction of Islam by trying to convert muslims to another religion (or no religion), but an entirely different thing to advocate destroying it by killing people.

ReputationRep:
      It's something to be very embarrassed about. The idea that a person can be arrested and imprisoned for mocking another person's belief in a magic sky god is absolutely preposterous.

You may have read yesterday about the Austrian who was charged with the "crime" of yodelling while his neighbors prayed to their own version of the big pink pixie in the sky. Clearly the Austrians are also bonkers.

ReputationRep:
      Blasphemy was a common law offence in England and Wales until 2008, and still is in Northern Ireland

ReputationRep:
      The Racial and Religious Hatred Act (I might be wrong about the name but it very similar to this) isn't a blasphemy law, it's utter rubbish yes, but not a blasphemy law. Britain doesn't have any blasphemy laws because the blasphemy laws were abolished under the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.