Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Essay' about Plato's Concept of the forms. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what sort of grade this would get in the exam, and what improvements I need.

EXPLAIN WHAT PLATO MEANT BY THE ‘FORMS’. (25 marks)

When Plato referred to the forms he was talking about pure essences. Some people would ask the question of ‘ what is real beauty?’ and Plato would answer back saying that nobody embodies absolute beauty as humans are a subject to time and space, which is changeable. Those who are beautiful such as Beyonce or Cheryl Cole will eventually decay. He said that there is an absolute form of beauty, and everything we think beautiful is just a poor copy of the form of beauty. This form is eternal and in another world, as are the other forms.
    Addtionally, Plato’s belief about our reality being poor copies of the forms is expressed in his myth of the cave as the shadows that the prisoners saw, were of such objects as horses, and those horses would represent the Absolute form, and the shadows would represent the appearance of that form. Similarly, the cave, in which the prisoners reside, would be said to be the world of senses; and the world which the freed prisoner ventures out into represents the world of the forms, and sun would represent the form of good. This reinforces the fact that Plato thinks this world is corrupt.
    Furthermore, the form of good is the ultimate existence of the forms, and is the ultimate end of human conduct and knowledge. It seems that knowledge of the forms is only accessible to philosophers and Plato believed that it is the task of the philosopher to see beyond the experience of the cave and to escape to the world of the forms, which we came from, and will once return to after death, hence the freed prisoner in the myth of the cave represents the philosopher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sem193)
    I would like to know what sort of grade this would get in the exam, and what improvements I need.

EXPLAIN WHAT PLATO MEANT BY THE ‘FORMS’. (25 marks)

When Plato referred to the forms he was talking about pure essences. Some people would ask the question of ‘ what is real beauty?’ and Plato would answer back saying that nobody embodies absolute beauty as humans are a subject to time and space, which is changeable. Those who are beautiful such as Beyonce or Cheryl Cole will eventually decay. He said that there is an absolute form of beauty, and everything we think beautiful is just a poor copy of the form of beauty. This form is eternal and in another world, as are the other forms.
    Addtionally, Plato’s belief about our reality being poor copies of the forms is expressed in his myth of the cave as the shadows that the prisoners saw, were of such objects as horses, and those horses would represent the Absolute form, and the shadows would represent the appearance of that form. Similarly, the cave, in which the prisoners reside, would be said to be the world of senses; and the world which the freed prisoner ventures out into represents the world of the forms, and sun would represent the form of good. This reinforces the fact that Plato thinks this world is corrupt.
    Furthermore, the form of good is the ultimate existence of the forms, and is the ultimate end of human conduct and knowledge. It seems that knowledge of the forms is only accessible to philosophers and Plato believed that it is the task of the philosopher to see beyond the experience of the cave and to escape to the world of the forms, which we came from, and will once return to after death, hence the freed prisoner in the myth of the cave represents the philosopher.
    Just that on your own won't really get anywhere close to 25 marks. You're really looking for about at least a page worth of essay writing - you might want to go extensively on Plato's Cave - how he came to the conclusion - the idea of the journey the prisoner had to go through - the idea of empirical knowledge - don't do a "hit and run" answer - keep adding, but remember the question. You need to mention about the ideals. You may want to study:
    - Locke's tabula rasa
    - Aristotles' Nicomachean Ethics
    - Sense Experience

for further marks. Also learn extensively the criticism - its handy for the 10 mark question. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What exam is it.

BUT, whatever exam it is, the answer is far too short, presumably 25 marks, if you are doing AS level, which is what I assume you are doing, is the longer question, so your looking at 3-4 sides of A4. This doesn't really cut the mustard.

ReputationRep:
    We had a talk in class with one of these peopl who marks these papers and they said if you find it hard structure your answers then the minimum to hit all the marks is 5 paragraphs. 1intro 2pro/positive 3against/negative 4against/negative 5 conclusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orwell)
    What exam is it.

BUT, whatever exam it is, the answer is far too short, presumably 25 marks, if you are doing AS level, which is what I assume you are doing, is the longer question, so your looking at 3-4 sides of A4. This doesn't really cut the mustard.
    3-4 slides are you mad?!

It looks fine though pal. But conclusion is where its happening. Nail that, and you're sorted for philosophy and ethics (so long as you plan).

ReputationRep:
    3-4 side isn't difficult at all to be fair.

I don't get why you would do a negative point of view, positive etc though - surely that should be left for the 10 marks? The "Explain" bit should explain Platos Forms - rather than criticise it shouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Also, as a general point, I'd say that some measure of your intellectual capacity can be inferred from the references and examples you make, at least at A level, ergo, probably best not to mention Beyonce and Cheryl Cole. It was for me at least, a little jarring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastinate)
    Just that on your own won't really get anywhere close to 25 marks. You're really looking for about at least a page worth of essay writing - you might want to go extensively on Plato's Cave - how he came to the conclusion - the idea of the journey the prisoner had to go through - the idea of empirical knowledge - don't do a "hit and run" answer - keep adding, but remember the question. You need to mention about the ideals. You may want to study:
    - Locke's tabula rasa
    - Aristotles' Nicomachean Ethics
    - Sense Experience

for further marks. Also learn extensively the criticism - its handy for the 10 mark question. Good luck!
    Thank you so much. I wouldn't have thought that if you hadn't told me
    And thanks for the study suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amscared)
    We had a talk in class with one of these peopl who marks these papers and they said if you find it hard structure your answers then the minimum to hit all the marks is 5 paragraphs. 1intro 2pro/positive 3against/negative 4against/negative 5 conclusion
    Thank you. I'll aim to do that. That gives me a good structure for the plan I just struggle with the conclusions sometimes.

(Original post by Orwell)
    Also, as a general point, I'd say that some measure of your intellectual capacity can be inferred from the references and examples you make, at least at A level, ergo, probably best not to mention Beyonce and Cheryl Cole. It was for me at least, a little jarring.
    My teacher gave the whole class a booklet and it had that as an example :s. I guess I shouldn't include that if a question about the forms comes up. Thanks, and my exam is in Philosophy of Religion, and the board is OCR. And I'll stick with 3 sides at tops because my writing is kinda small.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about 3-4 sides, you can bring in other aspects of why we value art etc! Just make sure you don't get "form" and "forms" confused when it comes to art!!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, for a 25 mark question this seems a bit of a wierd one, as the question itself would suggest just explanation and no critical analysis, but 25 marks would suggest critical analysis. I would add:
    Something about the simile of the ship, showing how important being able to understand the forms is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.