Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which would be more employable for role as a junior analyst ? ( presuming both get 1:1 or 2:1)

-Student from warwick/ucl with a physics degree
    -Student from kings college london/nottingham with a maths with finance degree?

(also both candidates have equally good interviews)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercal35)
    Which would be more employable for role as a junior analyst ? ( presuming both get 1:1 or 2:1)

-Student from warwick/ucl with a physics degree
    -Student from kings college london/nottingham with a maths with finance degree?
    Firstly I wouldn't employ anyone with a '1:1' degree.

Secondly whoever interviewed better would be more employable.

ReputationRep:
    You really can't answer that question without knowing anything about either candidates, you know?

ReputationRep:
    Both would get an interview.

That's all one can say from that data.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that for an identical app, the warwick/ucl student would get more interviews in general.

ReputationRep:
    The university seems to count for more than the subject, especially as both are quantitative in any case, so I'd think the Warwick/UCL student would be better placed. However, "equally good interviews" doesn't really happen.

ReputationRep:
    Student from warwick/ucl with a physics degree.

Assuming ceteris paribus.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think the premise of "equally good interviews" is impossible. The application is handled by humans; they are bound to favour someone's interview over the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valhalla92)
    Personally, I think the premise of "equally good interviews" is impossible. The application is handled by humans; they are bound to favour someone's interview over the other.
    yes , i guess the question i'm trying to ask is which one would have an advantage purely based on the degree and university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Lad)
    Firstly I wouldn't employ anyone with a '1:1' degree.

Secondly whoever interviewed better would be more employable.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    It's tough to answer tbh. This isn't really something you can say without more information.

ReputationRep:
    come on guys it's not only about university ! personally, i'll probably look at their extra curricular activities, teamwork, strong leadership skills such as event coordinator in the student union of their university or treasurer in a society.... and then last but not least someone who can speak at least 2 languages because the candidate will be able to interact with more clients and colleagues working in offices abroad..
    Grades might get you the interview but if you want to secure a position you better start improving your soft skills now. go to networking events and employers will always tell you one thing: a strong candidate is usually a well-rounded individual

ReputationRep:
    ok, but from a student applying to a university next year which should he/she go for???

ReputationRep:
    Purely in terms of getting into IB, the consensus seems to be to go to the most prestigious university possible. Of the ones you list, UCL is probably the best. But if you haven't even applied yet, I don't see why you couldn't apply for maths or economics at UCL if you would prefer those subjects. What is the reasoning behind the choices you've offered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tharyla)
    come on guys it's not only about university ! personally, i'll probably look at their extra curricular activities, teamwork, strong leadership skills such as event coordinator in the student union of their university or treasurer in a society.... and then last but not least someone who can speak at least 2 languages because the candidate will be able to interact with more clients and colleagues working in offices abroad..
    Grades might get you the interview but if you want to secure a position you better start improving your soft skills now. go to networking events and employers will always tell you one thing: a strong candidate is usually a well-rounded individual
    in reality:

1)well educated
    2)likeable and knowledgeable in an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercal35)
    yes , i guess the question i'm trying to ask is which one would have an advantage purely based on the degree and university

Well, I'd hate to say this, but it's a pretty impossible question to answer. For one, it depends on the employer, and there are no statistics to give details about this, and its pretty unreliable for you to get opinions from firsthand experience with firms because there are too few of these decisions to be made.

Your potential employer would not heavily consider the degree unless there was a huge question of relevance to your job, e.g. I think the UCL degree would be an advantage if you wanted to become, say, a financial accountant, but since you're trying to be an analyst, the physics degree does have relevance too. It's pretty much due to the fact that the theory you learn in university seldom applies fully to real life situations.

So their solution is to evaluate you based on other things...like an interview.

I'm guessing that you're asking this question since you have 2 university choices. Personally, I think it doesn't matter which one you pick; it is the other factors that will decide your employment. I would recommend you to do whichever degree you would enjoy more, which also helps since it's easier to get a first in a degree which you actually enjoy doing the most.

ReputationRep:
    i would employ someone with good timekeeping and attendance records. someone who is smartly dressed, good manners. sense of humour as well maybe

ReputationRep:
    with the scenario above, i'd take the physics grad if both had relevant experience, the finance one if not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    i would employ someone with good timekeeping and attendance records. someone who is smartly dressed, good manners. sense of humour as well maybe
    Bingo.

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much rozzr

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.