Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My solution to the funding debate - Performance related grants Watch

ReputationRep:
    Having chatted with many of my friends about this issue I came up with the following possible solution and wondered what the current student population would think of it.

Performance Related Grants

Basically students would receive grants to cover some or all of their fees depending on their results. For example it could start with A levels;

Achieve 3 x A's get 100% fee for first year
    2 A's 1 B = 90%

etc

These are just examples but it would act as an incentive for people to achieve. This would continue throughout the course, with grants being awarded for ongoing attainment. Ending with a final grant based on your final degree.

I think there are a lot of the general public who have no issue paying for students further education but they do have an issue with the increasing number of people using uni as a lifestyle choice and the burden that put on the tax payer.

Edit - Judging by the typo in the title, perhaps I should have stayed on a bit longer....

ReputationRep:
    Encouraging people to get full marks in order to get 100% funding, on the face of it is a good idea. However you have take the students circumstances into consideration aswell. I.e it is a lot easier for a pupil from a private school to get good marks than it is for a student in a state school where there are wars going on in the classroom. But still an idea.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Instead of just dishing out scholarships to anybody from a poor background regardless of them perhaps being troglodytic, see how well these pupils are performing and whether they deserve the scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree, so you should probably use a combination of performance / means tested grant. Will have a think on how it could work.

ReputationRep:
    if a mixture of performance/means tested grants are used....it would be perfect...

ie. if you get full EMA, and still get A*A*A*...then you should get 1st yr free

yet if you are rich and get A*A*A*....only half of first year paid for

ReputationRep:
    no grants.

just all loans would be better meaning everyone from every background would have to pay back the same amount in loans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosegun)
    Having chatted with many of my friends about this issue I came up with the following possible solution and wondered what the current student population would think of it.

Basically students would receive grants to cover some or all of their fees depending on their results. For example it could start with A levels;

2 A's 1 B = 90%

etc

These are just examples but it would act as an incentive for people to achieve. This would continue throughout the course, with grants being awarded for ongoing attainment. Ending with a final grant based on your final degree.

I think there are a lot of the general public who have no issue paying for students further education but they do have an issue with the increasing number of people using uni as a lifestyle choice and the burden that put on the tax payer.

Edit - Judging by the typo in the title, perhaps I should have stayed on a bit longer....
    Under this system would all A-levels have the same value?
    For example, would someone who gets 3 As in Maths, Chemistry and Physics be entitled to less money than someone who gets 3 A*s but in easier subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    if a mixture of performance/means tested grants are used....it would be perfect...

ie. if you get full EMA, and still get A*A*A*...then you should get 1st yr free

yet if you are rich and get A*A*A*....only half of first year paid for
    Why? when both have achieved equally?

That will lead to more animosity and segregation and tension between the classes than already exists.

Why should children from richer backgrounds be judged purely on their parents achievements in life?

You're a fool.

Everyone should be able to take out a tuition fee loan to cover tuition and a £6000 maintenance loan to cover each year of university so if accommodation costs £3200 they have £2800 left for living which they could top up through work.

That way everyone gets an equal chance and every student has to pay it back.

No grants and then every student is on an equal footing.

ReputationRep:
    If this were to actually happen, why should it be based on A-level grades? I know plenty of straight A students who didn't do particularly well in their degree - university study is often quite different from secondary school. It would make more sense to refund a student based on their degree result. Also that way, you don't have to worry about means testing, as everyone has the same resources and teachers at any given university.

Admittedly this idea would become more of a gamble though if it was based on your projection of your future achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosegun)

2 A's 1 B = 90%

etc

Would all A-levels be treated equally? There has been debate on 'soft subjects', such as 'media studies' etc.

So for example, would someone applying with A-levels in English Literature, History and Philosophy be treated equally to someone with A-levels in ICT, Communication Studies and World Development?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.