Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for the police over these stupid moronic students who don't even know what their marching about, just taking a day off University to cause trouble, full of low social class youths who have no morals brought up by a broken family background attending poor Universities shouldn't have the right to represent those students who are more intelligent and know what they're talking about.

These students deserve to get battered.

ReputationRep:
    Is that you The_Great_one?

ReputationRep:
    The funniest thing is they think all this will change the politians decision LMFAO, so dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workforce)
    I feel sorry for the police over these stupid moronic students who don't even know what their marching about, just taking a day off University to cause trouble, full of low social class youths who have no morals brought up by a broken family background attending poor Universities shouldn't have the right to represent those students who are more intelligent and know what they're talking about.

Sorry Tarquin, im sure you're having fun at Eton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Sorry Tarquin, im sure you're having fun at Eton
    :lol: Excellent

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for the kid who was pushed out of a wheel chair by police officers and the kids that were trampled on due to mounted police horses crushing them. especially when half those bloody police officers could well be losing their jobs soon too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    I feel sorry for the kid who was pushed out of a wheel chair by police officers and the kids that were trampled on due to mounted police horses crushing them. especially when half those bloody police officers could well be losing their jobs soon too.
    doubt it

ReputationRep:
    Why would you go there in a wheelchair, the blokes a mug.

ReputationRep:

I totally feel the same way. Hopefully some of them will give an excuse to be shot at.

ReputationRep:
    Good on the protesters. The Lib Dem/Tory university proposals need to be stopped at all costs.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for the po just taking a day off University to cause trouble,

Quite right too.
    Some people will take a day off at the drop of a hat, and deliberately try to damage police truncheons by banging their heads against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    No they won't because you're largely talking *******s.

Crowd misbehaves = measures taken to control them
    Crowd behaves = no dramas.
    You can't have it both ways, you can't misbehave then expect to be treated nicely.

I feel sorry for the officers who are in hospital because students who haven't taken the time to understand the fee changes have turned up for a fight. I hope they're thrown out of university.

Same with kettling, do you a) let the crowd spread out, thinning police numbers in any one area and watch as they vandalise everything.

b) Close them down to the point where you have enough officers in any one place to contain them, preserving greater peace for the public whilst enabling the protest to continue.

ReputationRep:
    Yes government won!

ReputationRep:
    just taking a day off University

I doubt they are even in education, just morons who want to cause trouble for entertainment. I wish the media would realise this.

ReputationRep:

Yes, because clearly these cuts and fee rises are affecting us low social classes the most oh wait...it's the middle income/classes that are moaning the most about them. Why else would the NUS be putting so many protests together? After all their president did beg the government to cut grants for the lower income students in exchange for no fee rises.

ReputationRep:
    The protesting does seem pretty pointless, I agree, but at least they can say they tried. It's something to tell the grandkids in the future. I WAS THERE. (I wasn't personally there, though).

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I completely respect people's right to protest, Cameron was right: they must get the facts straight in their head before they do it.

I have spoken to many of my friends who have protested, and after I fully explained the situation to them, they mostly agreed with my point of view.

It's so typical of our society that people make hasty political judgements without having considered the most important facts.

I thought it was illustrated well by the student's question time a couple of weeks ago. A student was asked where the money for university should come from. "The taxpayer", one said (it wasn't the student that asked the original question, they were unable to respond to this). Is it not unfair to burden people who don't go to university with tax for a facility they didn't use, even during a recession? Graduates also generally earn more than non-graduates, so they are more able to afford the cost. Essentially the protesting students are asking the government to persecute this, less obvious working class/poor group of society because they don't want to pay more, the same group they are claiming to defend. Many students just seem to think that the government has access to a bottomless pit of money. Unfortunately the money for our excellent universities has to come from somewhere, and imho it is unjust to burden all taxpayers with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Whilst I completely respect people's right to protest, Cameron was right: they must get the facts straight in their head before they do it.

I have spoken to many of my friends who have protested, and after I fully explained the situation to them, they mostly agreed with my point of view.

It's so typical of our society that people make hasty political judgements without having considered the most important facts.

I thought it was illustrated well by the student's question time a couple of weeks ago. A student was asked where the money for university should come from. "The taxpayer", one said (it wasn't the student that asked the original question, they were unable to respond to this). Is it not unfair to burden people who don't go to university with tax for a facility they didn't use, even during a recession? Graduates also generally earn more than non-graduates, so they are more able to afford the cost. Essentially the protesting students are asking the government to persecute this, less obvious working class/poor group of society because they don't want to pay more, the same group they are claiming to defend. Many students just seem to think that the government has access to a bottomless pit of money. Unfortunately the money for our excellent universities has to come from somewhere, and imho it is unjust to burden all taxpayers with it.
    The taxpayer pays for a lot of facilities they don't use.

ReputationRep:
    I can see where OP is coming from - just seen a group of college males on the news saying they were from the "slums of London" and now that tuition fees have gone up and EMA is going there's nothing to stop them from 'doing drug deals on the streets'. Great attitude right there - they give students a bad reputation. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    The taxpayer pays for a lot of facilities they don't use.
    Could you provide some examples?

I have thought about this and tend to find that although there are many facilities that not all taxpayers use, they are all facilities that anybody could use, they simply don't, for whatever reason. Whereas only some can realistically hope to use the facility of higher education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.