Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will the increase in fees actually mean less students going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Basic economic theory: You increase the price of something, fewer people will pay for it. How large the effect is remains to be seen, though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly for 2012.

What about an increase in applications for the 2011 cycle though, seeing as this is the last year of the £3,000 or so fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Yes. Basic economic theory: You increase the price of something, fewer people will pay for it. How large the effect is remains to be seen, though.
    It isn't that simple because some people will actually be paying less under the new system.

People keep *****ing on about less students doing 'mickey mouse' degrees after the fee hike, but if these degrees do result in poorly paid jobs, said graduates will pay nothing/very little back anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    It isn't that simple because some people will actually be paying less under the new system.
    True... but from my cynical, nit-picking economist point of view, if even one less person goes to uni because of the fees changes then the answer to the OP's question is still "yes".

ReputationRep:
    Let's form a student political party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STUDENT PARTY)
    Let's form a student political party.
    As I said in reply to your other post, a political party where half of it's members are not old enough to vote for it is an inherently flawed concept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    Will the increase in fees actually mean less students going to uni?
    Hopefully.

Theres simply not enough graduate jobs in the country for the number of graduates being pumped out.

ReputationRep:
    FEWER.

ReputationRep:
    It'll decrease the number of mature students I would think. They're all going this year so as not to have to pay the rise. Next year there might be less because people who were thinking of taking a gap year instead of going to uni next year are more likely to go this year. (When I say this year I mean 2011 enty)

ReputationRep:
    I don't personally think there will be a significant decrease. I wonder if it'll mean a greater number of Welsh students at uni though, since actually the Welsh have only benefited from this. However I somehow doubt that we'll see a massive change in the numbers or demographics.

(Original post by RosieRayner)
    FEWER.
    + repped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieRayner)
    FEWER.
    REP+ you better write this down OP

ReputationRep:
    I predict Scottish universities will improve a lot as a greater number of English students will inevitably be applying to them meaning they will be able to pick much more able students.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm hope so - less competition (i know that's a little mean :sad:)

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully' fewer 'who use' less 'incorrectly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.