Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would any of the top unis (oxford/ cambridge mainly) respectfully consider an applicant with these grades (what i think i will achieve)

NOTE: i haven't achieved my A levels yet as i havent started college but i have researched the topics done past papers and this is what i think i will achiveve

A Levels

A* Maths
    A* Further Maths
    A History
    A Physics

AS

A Maths
    A Further Maths
    A History
    A Physics
    A Economics
    A Business Studies

GCSE

A* Maths
    A* Additional Science
    A*History
    AA Business Studies
    A Science
    A English Lit
    A English Lang
    B Electronics
    B Art
    C French

Also do they even really consider gcse results becuase mine arent to good (messed around a lot, but im more mature now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11111987)
    Also do they even really consider gcse results becuase mine arent to good
    **** off

ReputationRep:
    A Levels

A* Maths
    A* Further Maths
    A History
    A Physics

AS

A Maths
    A Further Maths
    A History
    A Physics
    A Economics
    A Business Studies
    Most definitely. They are all traditionally academic, tough subjects too.

Your GCSEs are somewhat below average for successful Cambridge applicants, at least, but that means nothing if you have such fantastic AS and A-levels. Cambridge recognises that some people flourish late academically, and A-level achievements dwarf the importance of GCSEs anyway. I don't know about Oxford but I'm sure it's similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Most definitely. They are all traditionally academic, tough subjects too.

Your GCSEs are somewhat below average for successful Cambridge applicants, at least, but that means nothing if you have such fantastic AS and A-levels. Cambridge recognises that some people flourish late academically, and A-level achievements dwarf the importance of GCSEs anyway.

my secondary school was so **** and the teachers were so poor but im gonna work so hard in college to prove i can better my results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11111987)
    my secondary school was so **** and the teachers were so poor but im gonna work so hard in college to prove i can better my results

That's good then.

All, but one, Cambridge colleges do not take account of the quality of your education when deciding whether to make an offer or not, but your GCSEs aren't terrible by any means and as I said, AS grades and A-level predictions are what really matter. And if you get anything like what you said, you won't have any problems at all.

ReputationRep:
    no, cuz you got a C in French sorry man.

Lol you should get in with flying colours!

ReputationRep:
    My bro got 5A* at alevel and 3A* 1A and 2Cs at gcse (girls were of paramount importance LOL). Still got in.

ReputationRep:
    They do look at GCSEs because so many people are getting straight A grades at A-level these days. Those 2 A*s at A-level will help you out quite a bit, but I think 3 or 4 would more than compensate for 2Bs and a C at GCSE. I wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    Go for Cambridge as they put much more importance on AS level module scores and A-levels than GCSEs, though having said that you'll be applying with your A2 results so I doubt Oxford is out of your reach either. The most important thing is to get an interview and then have the passion to persuade them they want to spend several hours a week in tutorials with you!

Good luck!

Source: Applied for Cambridge this year, got my interview on Tuesday!

ReputationRep:
    they definitely give at least interview

ReputationRep:
    I hope so because even though my gcse's are probably under average for their applicants i will work my socks off to get only A*'s maybe 1 A at a level

ReputationRep:
    You will realise you're taking on too much with 6 ASes. Don't do it. Even 5 "Proper" ASes is too much for most people (ie not Gen Studies/Crit Thinking), stick with 4 (maybe 5) and do really really well, get the most UMS you can out of them. Pick up a 5th AS during your A2 year if you drop an AS if you want.

Also Oxford care more about GCSEs than Cambridge. Whether that'll make much difference if you get near full UMS in your AS and A* predictions, I don't know but it is true.

ReputationRep:
    i hope not. any moron who's predicting what they'll get for as and a levels before even starting college should get some harsh comeuppance.

ReputationRep:
    They do consider GCSE esults, and yours would be below average I think, but they'll look at all the other stuff too, so if your AS marks are high, it shouldn't matter too much.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.