Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When working out moles calculations (A level OCR) how many significant figures/decimal places should I round my final answer to? This includes mass/volume/mol.

The questions don't say

ReputationRep:
    If the question doesn't specify then you should round off to same number of places as the numbers given in the question. So if they give you a value rounded to one decimal place, you do the same.

If you really aren't sure, I'd say round off to two d.p. It's better to be too accurate than not accurate enough

ReputationRep:
    Unless its in a fraction the best is to leave it at 3sf.

You could probably stretch it to 4 if the whole number is only 4 sf i.e 0.01275
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I cant argue with Ijantis, most of the time they want it to 3sf(unless stated otherwise). But in working make sure you keep it to 4 to make sure you can avoid most round errors(or just keep the number in your calculator)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    I cant argue with Ijantis, most of the time they want it to 3sf(unless stated otherwise). But in working make sure you keep it to 4 to make sure you can avoid most round errors(or just keep the number in your calculator)
    Troll much...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Troll much...
    WOW, farhan I expected more of you than this. Get off this chemistry forum and get back to your geography one haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.