Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why must people continue to insist the fees prevent poorer students from goin to uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    The loans will pay for your tuition, so you pay NOTHING until you are earning enough to pay, unless you choose to that is.

Besides, even if you do end up with 40k debt its hardly like a credit card debt like everyone likes to make out.

I do not consider myself to be 20k 'in debt', when in fact I am.

Sensationalism brings out the moron in everyone who can't be bothered to understand the proposals properly.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are ignorant sheep who just follow the media and other stupid students and just non stop complain about the rise when they know little or nothing about them.

The amount of people i've seen on TSR who fail to realise you will still get high loans and such for it is amazing, just no idea how people can try to have a opinion about it when they nothing about it :facepalm:

Also know a few people who are like 'rising fee's wont even help the country at all' .. even had one who i had an arguement with to which his main arguement was 'I cant afford to pay the 40 thousand when i leave university, i'm not rich, its stupid to think anyone could pay pay so much money right out of uni' which made me want to just back hand him.

EDIT:
    If your gonna neg me for this, atleast have the balls to say why.. because what i said is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miiiiil)
    The loans will pay for your tuition, so you pay NOTHING until you are earning enough to pay, unless you choose to that is.
    I was discussing this at my gentlemen's club only yesterday, and we fully agree old pip... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    You smirk at the fact that is it 40k of debt, but when you are on a low paid job as most graduates who come out of University are, as well as having to pay for living costs, which DONT come with the student loan, as well as property prices which will once again balloon as the country comes out of recession means that it's a huge chunk of money to have hanging over your head!

ReputationRep:
    Plus if it's true the poorest students get 2 years free students like me will actually save about £6,000 compared to the system atm.

But the argument that 40k debt will put people off is deffinatly right, I'm iffy about £25k - it's an effing lot of money to have hanging over you even if it's not 'real' debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syko)
    You smirk at the fact that is it 40k of debt, but when you are on a low paid job as most graduates who come out of University are, as well as having to pay for living costs, which DONT come with the student loan, as well as property prices which will once again balloon as the country comes out of recession means that it's a huge chunk of money to have hanging over your head!
    I am only talking about tuition fees here. It is up to the individual what other commitments they get themselves into. And maintenance is no different than it has been so it is a somewhat irrelevant point here.

Besides, you only pay in the region of £30-40 a month when you pay back the loan i think. Hardly crippling.

ReputationRep:
    Love this thread so much. Half the people on TV at the protests do not seem like the type to go to university anyway (e.g. "bruv, this aint on man, naaah fam") they clearly just want an excuse to riot and haven't actually listened to the reasons for the rise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miiiiil)

Besides, even if you do end up with 40k debt its hardly like a credit card debt like everyone likes to make out.

I do not consider myself to be 20k 'in debt', when in fact I am.

Sensationalism brings out the moron in everyone who can't be bothered to understand the proposals properly.
    Well your a class A douche bag.

£9k a year for three years is an outrage.

We only have to pay it after we earn £21k so we are better off apparently. Thats only £6k a year more but instead we will have debts of £40k instead of £20k.

So anyone who goes to uni in 2012 is ****ed.

Your a **** for listening to what the "coalition" are saying and being absorbed into thinking others will be better off under the new scheme when its total BS

ReputationRep:
    Also, that some people will be put off is a good thing. If people are serious about getting a degree, and actually intelligent etc, then I don't think the debt is going to deter them. It's people who are simply going to university because it's the done thing, or to take a silly mickey mouse course, who are likely to be put off, and this is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it is idiotic of people to say they "can't afford" the higher fees. It is irrelevant because it is free at the point of access, as in you get a loan which you pay back later. If it wasn't for the loan, I don't think 95% of us would be able to afford to go to uni at the current fees... The real issue here is the unreasonable amount of debt that people are going to get into. The question is not "can I afford it", it's "how much debt am I prepared to get into".

ReputationRep:
    Some people just like to kick up a fuss over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that most people dont understand this point as well but the point which should be made clearer is how the interest rate on your loan starts as soon as you take it out and is then compounded every year. more so when you cant pay it, the interest rate is still being applied. so when you do get a job which say is £21,000/year the percentage that will be taken out will be a lot for you as you will (hope) to also having a mortgage, buy a car, etc.
    i am for the tution fee raise though anyway.

ReputationRep:
    AND, look at other countries. We have it good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athuwssr)
    Well your a class A douche bag.

£9k a year for three years is an outrage.

We only have to pay it after we earn £21k so we are better off apparently. Thats only £6k a year more but instead we will have debts of £40k instead of £20k.

So anyone who goes to uni in 2012 is ****ed.

Your a **** for listening to what the "coalition" are saying and being absorbed into thinking others will be better off under the new scheme when its total BS
    I agree that it is bad to be £40k in debt, but as I say, it is a very generous loan with a very manageable pay-back scheme, which is the part of the proposals that everyone has decided to ignore.

ReputationRep:
    Im so disgusted at the way the protestors have acted today. Throwing sticks and railings at horses and people?
    Its vile. Im ashamed to be named the same as them. Those few people have RUINED the name of students.
    People need to realise the facts and grow up.

ReputationRep:
    The O.P is obviously a person brainwashed by the Conservative lies.

ReputationRep:
    What are the replayment options under the new system?

ATM I have not started to pay back as I earn less then £15,000. i think the limit is now £21,000?

(Original post by Syko)
    And by a low-paid job you mean one under £21,000? You don't pay a penny.

(In fact, those people would be better off as it was £15,000 under the old system).

Read the bloody facts.

(Original post by Tashalls)
    Plus if it's true the poorest students get 2 years free students like me will actually save about £6,000 compared to the system atm.

But the argument that 40k debt will put people off is deffinatly right, I'm iffy about £25k - it's an effing lot of money to have hanging over you even if it's not 'real' debt.
    Gets written off after 30 years. So what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sani-Insanity)
    The O.P is obviously a person brainwashed by the Conservative lies.
    You are obviously brainwashed by anti-conservative propaganda.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.