Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. I think the worst part is that most of the protesters are simply not university students and never will be, but the media will instantly label the rioters as students, thus making our situation worse.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't really put the taxpayer on side... a lot of taxpayers have kids who are going to go to university, the violent protestors are just yobs looking for an excuse to harass the police.. and as for the students they are venting their anger, if people took the attitude of failed then no protests would ever take place as most of the time they are unsuccessful... your fighting the government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
    We are the taxpayers.

ReputationRep:
    You failed at life wannabe Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    the anti-war protesters in the 60s also failed...but everyone worships them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    Indeed. I think the worst part is that most of the protesters are simply not university students and never will be, but the media will instantly label the rioters as students, thus making our situation worse.
    On the first one there were loads of people who obviously weren't students and I saw a lot of them at Millbank. I think some people just see it as an excuse to start fires and smash things up. Also the number of people being injured seems to be getting worse so I really hope they stop before someone accidentally gets trampled by a horse and killed or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we failed, however one thing is for sure, neither the torys or the libdems will be voted in in the next general election (i doubt the libs will ever be voted in now)

ReputationRep:
    Not true - Wales won it's tution fees rise protest. :awesome:

Shame i'm going to uni in England, though.

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    The welsh assembly listened to us.

ReputationRep:
    This is the end of the Lib Dems now. The end of Clegg and co. To break their manifesto promises and to go through with such a massive policy shift...

cheerio.

:five:

Tbh, I really can't people people thought protesting would change their minds. Absolutely pathetic.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah cos we all thought the protests would actually stop the tuition fee rise

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lewroll)
      Yes we failed, however one thing is for sure, neither the torys or the libdems will be voted in in the next general election (i doubt the libs will ever be voted in now)
      Sorry to break it to you, but the student vote isn't that powerful - in comparison to middle England, for example.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by missygeorgia)
      We are the taxpayers.
      Yeah right...

ReputationRep:

I think it did something - the tuition fees ONLY JUST went through, it was expected to go through by much more votes.

In addition, if the 8 lib dems to abstained had voted - it would not have gone through.

It was close and showed that some peoples minds in government could be changed.

I think it also showed how bad a position government is, aka, people resigning rather then vote.

They didnt lose. Protests are about much more than the here and now.

At the next election everybody who wants to get into power will be falling over themselves to try and repair things to catch votes.

What do you suggest they should have done? nothing? because that would be good wouldnt it, a country full of people who do nothing.

Yeah right...
          Lol. Students? Taxpayers? (Bearing in mind that it is not the majority who have a part-time job).

ReputationRep:

Better to have tried and failed, then never to have tried. :yep:

ReputationRep:
          Hope your happy Thatcher, Now the Tories may have destroyed MY Future, Yes I may be in year 9 but this is something that may continue into when I am going to university IF I manage to go because of the money. This is why when I am old enough to vote I will NEVER vote tory for what has just happened and for many reasons you would know yourself. Tories have destroyed many bright futures for students, And will continue to do if you are ever voted again. I hope the tories happy and I hope that the tories will never be voted again..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.