Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I am currently on a gap year and am worried about uni next year. I really want to study computer science but have a levels in totally unrelated subjects. I have 240 ucas points from film studies - B English lit/Lang - B and history - E (no as). I only have very basic programming knowledge and that's about it. I can't see any foundation courses that appeal to me but there are some comp sci courses that require 240 points. As there will be a high number of applicant this year do I have a chance of studying this? Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perperper)
    Hello. I am currently on a gap year and am worried about uni next year. I really want to study computer science but have a levels in totally unrelated subjects. I have 240 ucas points from film studies - B English lit/Lang - B and history - E (no as). I only have very basic programming knowledge and that's about it. I can't see any foundation courses that appeal to me but there are some comp sci courses that require 240 points. As there will be a high number of applicant this year do I have a chance of studying this? Thanks a lot.
    You're best to contact those universities offering the comp sci courses individually and explain your situation to them. Although, even if you state yourself that you only have 'basic programming knowledge', you'd probably struggle on a degree course. How about looking into BTEC IT Programming courses at your local college? You might even be able to apply after one year if you have high grades.

ReputationRep:
    @ellakristina

I'm 21 so another yer of college isn't really an option with fees rising etc. I am not talking about whether or not I'll struggle, I'm asking if I would be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perperper)
    @ellakristina

I'm 21 so another yer of college isn't really an option with fees rising etc. I am not talking about whether or not I'll struggle, I'm asking if I would be accepted.
    have you looked at the sussexs foundation course?

DD? Entry requirements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.