12.50%
    more than 1 month
    8.33%
    more than 6 months
    25.00%
    never
    54.17%

ReputationRep:
    And does it depend on whether she dumped him or whether he dumped her?

ReputationRep:
    0.4 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    half an hour.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a guy, but meh!

Depends how long they dated, whether it was a mutual split, whether your friend still has feelings for her etc.

ReputationRep:
    this is o no go. I would never dare to get a men who is the ex of one of my friends.

but I am a woman. it seems that men don´t care a ´lot about friendship codex. I think it is an unwritten law not to touch the girl of a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Never. There's plenty more fish in the sea, don't even go there. :camp:

ReputationRep:
    Its really not a good idea to go out with a good friends ex.
    Dont go there...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i dont know how it works for guys, but with girls there is an unwritten rule that you dont go anywhere near their ex/someone they really liked and got with etc. def talk to him about it but id guess hes not gonna be too happy about it!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't, and if I did then it would have had to have been a short/meaningless relationship and I'd ask permission first from the friend.

ReputationRep:
    Lol theres literally tons of peng chicks do you REALLY need to go after your m8s ex?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on who dumped who and if he'd mind. A good friend of mine went out with one of my exes and I didn't mind at all as it ended well and we were still friends.

ReputationRep:
    0.1 milliseconds.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how old you are.. If you are a teenager I guess all these "unwritten rules" apply. If you are looking for a long-term relationship, it was a mature break-up and your friend is mature enough to understand that a relationship could work between you and his ex then I don't think there would be a problem. Personally I would have no problem with a friend getting with my ex-bf whatsoever.

However, if I were you I would wait until he was over her (at least 3 months; 6 months to be safe) and I would tell him first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    i dont know how it works for guys, but with girls there is an unwritten rule that you dont go anywhere near their ex/someone they really liked and got with etc. def talk to him about it but id guess hes not gonna be too happy about it!
    My friends and I were talking about this a while ago and frankly, I think it's a stupid "rule". OP, it totally depends on how your friend feels, obviously don't go chasing after a girl that he's still in love with but if it was over a while ago and he doesn't care, I really don't see what the problem is.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, unwritten rule:

Well, for me it is, anyway. I wouldn't dare go out with a mate-of-mine's ex.
    Then again, depends what your mate's like. If he's a guy with a short temper, probably best not too. If he's understanding - I'd give it a shot. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    this is o no go. I would never dare to get a men who is the ex of one of my friends.

but I am a woman. it seems that men don´t care a ´lot about friendship codex. I think it is an unwritten law not to touch the girl of a friend.
    Why? I'd date a friends ex. I wouldn't be offended if a friend dated mine. If they split up, it obviously didn't work out, but just because it didn't work for those two, doesn't mean it won't for them.

I'm really against seeing people as property, no one 'owns' their ex. I can understand they may be a bit upset over the breakup of the relationship, but ultimately, you can't claim exs friends/friends exes are off limits.

I dated an exes best friend haha. Although, they did have a huge argument about it and fell out over it. :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.