Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the big issue here.

Fee's are going up to £6k and £9k in extreme cases.

You pay back 9% of anything over £21k and it gets scrapped in your early 50's with anything left unpaid being written off.

You get a loan!! so anyone saying they can't afford it just shouldn't go to uni because they don't understand this basic concept of borrowing money just as most of us do now.

If you get a good degree and end up in a really high paid job you pay back a higher proportion of the total fee than someone who got a degree and ended up in a lower paid job.

Why should a high paid doctor pay the same as a low paid nurse when they are getting paid so much more? I study Chemical Engineering and I think me having to pay more for my degree would be fair as I will probably end up with a high salary. I think the difficulty and workload of the degree should be taken into account as someone studying for a hard degree SHOULD get paid more because of this but the new proposals don't strike me as too dreadful.

Could anyone please tell me if there is some hidden thing I have missed.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    A 'low paid nurse' (who starts on a higher wage than a doctor) doesn't pay tution fees (the NHS does) and gets an NHS bursery for the duration of their degree. The doctor enters a £21K job after a minimum of five years with 36K tutiton debt - plus the rest of the debt incurred from living etcetera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    A 'low paid nurse' (who starts on a higher wage than a doctor) doesn't pay tution fees (the NHS does) and gets an NHS bursery for the duration of their degree. The doctor enters a £21K job after a minimum of five years with 36K tutiton debt - plus the rest of the debt incurred from living etcetera.
    You can not be trying to tell me that overall a nurse earns more than a Doctor! A Dr may start on a fairly low wage until they have finished their initial years but once fully qualified they have a salary that dwarfs that of the average nurse.

And ok seeing as the NHS pay ... pick 2 different careers. Should a Chemical Engineer earning £56k a year pay the same for a degree as a Microbiologist earning £30k?

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.