Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lets look back at their achievements before the party tragically committed suicide, assisted suicide but still..

880,000 people to be taken out of paying income tax next year, while 23 million people get an annual tax cut of £170.
    New Pupil Premium to raise standards among disadvantaged children.
    A £1bn Regional Growth Fund to help parts of the UK most at risk from public sector cuts.
    A triple lock for pensioners to guarantee their pensions see significant increases every year, starting next April.
    A new Green Deal that will see millions of extra homes insulated and new focus on reducing emissions by 80 per cent by 2050.
    Work beginning on a bank levy to reign in irresponsible bankers.
    Ending of detention for child asylum seekers, immediate scrapping of ID cards and Lib Dem review of counter terrorism measures.
    Cutting reoffending through smarter prison sentences which include more investment in rehabilitation.
    Huge reform of politics including a referendum on changing the voting system.

What a shame.

ReputationRep:
    The sort of people who ignore all that and focus on the tuition fee increase will be the sort of people who don't think much about who they vote for anyway. All the parties have renegaded on some sort of manifesto pledge - the Lib Dems are hardly unique in that. And at least they have a valid excuse for it.

ReputationRep:
    I mourn what they could have been.

ReputationRep:
    I have not fully read the post but I fully support. I am pretty sure the Liberal Democrats had the power to reject the legislation so they shouldn't give the rubbish about how they didn't get into power. They won't have a party come next election and I sincerely hope they do not. To think I used to support Nick Clegg!

He has built a fake reality around himself that makes him think he is doing the right thing. The party is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Good riddance, I never liked the collection of oddballs that made up the Lib Dems anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand why they voted for. If they voted against, they would have probably stopped it, maintained what credibility they had and they'd still be in Government. The Conservatives, now, are nothing without them and could not expel Lib Dems from Govt without calling a General Election - which they'd never do.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, their manifesto were policies of a party who knew they wouldn't win the election. That was their downfall.

ReputationRep:
    I hope we see nick clegg living in a cave somewhere in the next 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when a crap useless party like the LibDems gets just a little power.

ReputationRep:
    And nothing of value was lost :dance:

ReputationRep:
    Danny Alexander MP for the Liberal Democrats looks like a fat, ginger Chandler from Friends.

The only other difference is one I laugh at because he's funny and one I laugh at because he's a Liberal Democrat Blue coat.

ReputationRep:
    Labour was re-elected with a wide majority after entering an illegal war.

Whilst I do disagree with the Liberal Democrats backing the fee rises, I believe they are getting a far harder ticket than their Labour counterparts.

Illegal invasion that leads to the death of 66,000 civilians VS graduates paying more for their degree than previously.

Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    You cannot simply drop everything your party has ever stood for on some fanciful claim of 'doing it for the good of the coalition'. It shows all their so-called 'principles' were no more than mere PR stunts designed to achieve some form of moral high-ground in the media. It shows that the Lib Dems never cared strongly about any of the issues they raised in the run up to the election and I for one am glad their spineless, identity-crisis party can be assigned to the trash heap of history.

ReputationRep:
    Rest in hell more like... liars!

ReputationRep:
    Well there is this other leftist part out there. For the past 13 years some may say they had lost their values and their mind. They forgot what being on the left side of politics meant. And went mad with power by starting needless wars. And creating needless policies to win votes, knowing full well it is not the way of the left. They forgot what the beveridge's, attlees and benn's tought them. However recently a new leader took over, and has promised to restore order in the party and take the party back to the glory days of attlee. Who is this man you ask, his name is ED and here is what he says:
    "You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack... it grew by one. So there... there were two of us in the wolf pack... I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, "Wait a second, could it be?" And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

Blah blah blah, just vote labour, f u c k the liberal sellouts!

ReputationRep:
    I want to know why people take this party seriously! Nick Clegg is clearly just David Cameron's Dog, what ever Cameron says goes. At least now people have given LibDems a chance to be in power to see how much of a useless party they really are. Im guess things do happen for a reason.
    Its not just about the university fees. What about when Cameron decides to do more stuff to the country which is totally opposite on the Libdems side and decided to change their policies because they are a bunch of Tory pleasers.
    It looks like Clegg needs to be sleeping with one eye open for the remaining of his "coalition Reign"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Labour was re-elected with a wide majority after entering an illegal war.

Whilst I do disagree with the Liberal Democrats backing the fee rises, I believe they are getting a far harder ticket than their Labour counterparts.

Illegal invasion that leads to the death of 66,000 civilians VS graduates paying more for their degree than previously.

Hmm...
    The thing is Labour didn't explicitly state, and sign pieces of paper stating "We promise not to invade Iraq and kill 60,000 civilians"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy Pilgrim)
    You cannot simply drop everything your party has ever stood for on some fanciful claim of 'doing it for the good of the coalition'. It shows all their so-called 'principles' were no more than mere PR stunts designed to achieve some form of moral high-ground in the media. It shows that the Lib Dems never cared strongly about any of the issues they raised in the run up to the election and I for one am glad their spineless, identity-crisis party can be assigned to the trash heap of history.
    Most manifesto promises by any party are "PR stunts". It's no coincidence that just before an election, parties suddenly start coming up with loads of fancy policies to grab the attention of the relevant demographic.

And I'm pretty sure the Lib Dems are focussed on more important things than the frankly trivial matter of how high tuition fees are - dropping this is in no way "dropping everything they believe in", it's merely one of their policies. And I've yet to see a valid reason why tuition fees shouldn't be increased, it's just "I don't want to pay more" and hysterical lies about affordability.

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, they'll recover and they'll be fine. Every major party recovers from their setbacks, just look at the miners strikes and tell me that the Conservatives haven't recovered from those, so any suggestion that this'll have a genuinely long term affect on their votes are unfounded.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the big deal is with everybody complaining about the government. You voted for them and knew this would happen. Ok maybe not the coalition, that was unexpected.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.