Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The protesters should have been contained US-style - sprayed with watercanons and the like. Why do the police pussyfoot around and act so weak?

ReputationRep:
    They don't need them. They can contain the protestors with normal tactics.

Also, any reaction by the police just fuels the claims of police brutality, so a massive overreaction would be a PR disaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    The protesters should have been contained US-style - sprayed with watercanons and the like. Why do the police pussyfoot around and act so weak?
    I'm missing the rubber bullets.

ReputationRep:
    My dad was saying about this too. Probably a mixture of health and safety and views by the police that it will only increase violence as well as their training in crowd control.

EDIT: Google of this suggest it comes down to cost aswell

ReputationRep:
    How do you justify charging protesters with horses 'pussy-footing'. There's been nothing but police brutality today.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with PR disaster, but don't forget the sons and daughters of these Policemen and -women have to contend with this 'tax' too, so do they care?

ReputationRep:
    It's for safety reasons from what I know - not just protester safety, but for police and the safety of other people not involved. Tear gas has been known to induce mass panic or be useless because everyone pulls out a gas mask.

There are also legal considerations - probably less on human rights as we have mostly the same human rights laws as the rest of those who adopted ECHR but on laws that allow the use of force.

While things the police do might not make sense but they have been developed over a very long time.

To compare UK law enforcement and US law enforcement is pointless, even more so when varying laws within them are applicable.

ReputationRep:
    Um it's called reasonable force.It's like shouting in a public place making a scene to win an argument

Missed the papers today.What happened?I'll feel stupid if it's obvious but if anyone would fill me in I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance
    Tom the gormless wonder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    Um it's called reasonable force.It's like shouting in a public place making a scene to win an argument

Missed the papers today.What happened?I'll feel stupid if it's obvious but if anyone would fill me in I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance
    Tom the gormless wonder
    This.

Matt the gormless wonder who is substancially slower than Tom the gormless wonder.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh typical Margaret Thatcher, as vile as ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kr1tya3)
    I'm missing the rubber bullets.
    Rubber bullets? You pussy. I would have just Napalmed the whole area!

/Sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by page_down)
    How do you justify charging protesters with horses 'pussy-footing'. There's been nothing but police brutality today.
    That's hilarious - what of protester brutality?

ReputationRep:
    Currently police in the UK (apart from Northern Ireland) do not use CS/Water cannons. Mostly on the fact that innocent bystanders are much more likely to be hit than action by individual officers where you can intervene directly on one person.

Tbh despite the scenes been show - they were timid compared to stuff you see in NI with Molotovs and so on!

Cannons weren't needed.

ReputationRep:
    That's hilarious - what of protester brutality?
    That's hilarious - what of police kettling, snatch and grab arrests, pulling a man out of wheel chair, beating a student unconscious and charging protesters with riot shields and batons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by page_down)
    That's hilarious - what of police kettling, snatch and grab arrests, pulling a man out of wheel chair, beating a student unconscious and charging protesters with riot shields and batons?
    Yeah, because the police are just going to allow violent protesters to crash through them and enter Parliament.

Several 'seriously' injured policemen, one pulled of his horse and trampled on, etc. These protesters were much more 'brutal' than the police.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because the police are just going to allow violent protesters to crash through them and enter Parliament.

Several 'seriously' injured policemen, one pulled of his horse and trampled on, etc. These protesters were much more 'brutal' than the police.
    Does that permit use of horses to charge a crowd? The last time these 'tactics' were used was when Thatcher was PM.

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves:
    At least 38 protesters and 10 officers injured
    source

How can you say protesters were more violent? Look at the facts, make your own conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly Maggie I agree with you! This country is getting too soft and the youth are allowed to run wild without fear and respecting the system that this great country is built on.

Also I would like to point out that the guardian is a newspaper for confused lefties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loosebruce)
    Firstly Maggie I agree with you! This country is getting too soft and the youth are allowed to run wild without fear and respecting the system that this great country is built on.

Also I would like to point out that the guardian is a newspaper for confused lefties.
    Apologies, I used my Daily Mail to wipe up dog excrement off the street.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one guys, defacing Winston Churchill's statue, complte and utter [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I agree. Sadly no-one took up my idea of a separatist Freikorps movement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.