Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I was googling some stuff earlier cos I was bored and I was disgusted to see some people's views, especially in the Western world saying that gay people shouldn't get equal rights and that they shouldn't express their sexuality publicly. This has really angered me and I just wanted other people's opinions on it?

What's your opinions on gay marriage and gay adoption too?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care if people are gay or straight. Sure, some people would naturally discriminate them but not giving them human rights is a bit extreme.

ReputationRep:
    B-man approves of Lesbians

ReputationRep:
    I don't think much about them?

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with gay people.

Gay marriage is fine, no reason why they shouldn't be allowed - they (presumably) love each other.

Gay adoption, however, is where it gets difficult. While in a perfect world there would be no problem - I would worry for the child if it was adopted, for example if his schoolmates find out his parents are 2 males who have adopted him... well, I just could see a lot of bullying happening.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothig against them, but I'm strict against that homosexual couples adopt children

ReputationRep:
    They're gay.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Feel like I should give a proper response actually. I have nothing against homosexual people, it doesn't bother me, it doesn't effect me, and why should I care whether other people like people of the same gender. It is, quite frankly, none of my business. Love is love, whether gay or straight.

Marriage shouldn't be restricted to just straight people, so I'm in favour of gay marriage to the same extent I'm in favour of straight marriage. The same for adoption. Personally, I don't think it should matter either way. Just because a child has 2 parents of the same gender doesn't mean they will be worse (or better, for that matter) off.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.profilefiend.com/Images2/...ges/voices.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craiky1506)

Gay marriage is fine, no reason why they shouldn't be allowed - they (presumably) love each other.

Gay adoption, however, is where it gets difficult. While in a perfect world there would be no problem - I would worry for the child if it was adopted, for example if his schoolmates find out his parents are 2 males who have adopted him... well, I just could see a lot of bullying happening.
    Yes but those parents could be the two best in the world - the problem doesn't lie with the parents, it's the bully.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Some people's views are appalling to me. It is not a good idea to google such things, will just get you angry
    I sometimes forget how backwards, bigoted and ignorant some people can be when it comes to sexuality. It's the 21st Century, there's no reason why anyone should be discriminated against for their sexual preference. Personally, although I see the problems such as bullying for the children involved, I'm for gay marriage and adoption. It's the ignorant attitudes of some parts of society that needs to change, and the gay couple should not be penalised for that.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, ha, bloody ha.
    Wondered when somebody would make this 'joke'.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people will claim to have zero problem with gay people and treat them no differently, but I'm not sure if this always plays out in practice. I could find you a few people who disagree. I think a lot of progress has been made so far on this front... but it's not really done yet. It's still an uncomfortable topic for many people.

Gay marriage- Please find me a secular argument that opposes gay marriage.

Gay adoption- No problem either, I think all adoption should be encouraged. People who bring up the "bullying" argument seem to be isolating this one example. IIRC, children of single parents used to be bullied heavily, but that's no longer as significant because we've become accustomed to that parenting arrangement . There are other examples, but the fact is that while it's tough on the children, banning gay adoption not help the wider situation, and we shouldn't prevent needy children from entering stable homes on the basis of the parents being same-sex.

ReputationRep:
    well I have quite conservative views on things and imo im not entirely sure on the whole gay concept, but im not a homophobe and they don't bother me, I am not that kind of person to be annoyed by what they do or purposely bully them or single them out, I talk to them and I am interested to know but im just not a big fan. That is just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    There not aliens people!

ReputationRep:
    I won't discriminate them.But I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully decline if I am asked permition to be boarded from the rear.

I work on the philosophy: Your rights end where mine start but there's no need to be unkind....Unless they scream homophobe at anyone who dare oppose them.
    Peace Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craiky1506)

I know it's anecdotal and I can see how in other schools this may not be the case, but a guy I used to know v. well's mum was a lesbian and her partner lives with them, and tbh, he really didn't get that much crap. He got some in Yr 7 but after that nothing really, no one bothers to bring it up.
    And this is a Catholic school with a lot of white supremacists and homophobes, etc.(though I don't really think it's to do with them being Catholic)
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Gays should be able to do whatever they want. It's no one's business what goes on after lights out anyway, hetero or homo. If a good looking gay guy wanted to plow me, I'd be flattered even if I can't reciprocate with my own engine.

Adoption is a trickier point, children who do not have both a father figure and a mother figure have a high chance of ending up with emotional issues later on. However there are so many children waiting to be adopted they might as well be taken by gay couples.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with them whatsoever. Playing rugby with a lot of lesbians, and being bi myself, it would be a bit perverse of me if I didn't agree with it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    i think that what their doing is an obomination. it goes against the christian bible. gay people make me feel sick. gay men look like women, sound like women, act like women and they are just vile. i dont think there is a place for gay relationships on this planet and theres definately not a place in heaven were gays are accepted. i just dislike gays so much its had to explain. go and get yourself sorted gays and get a life
    You just made so many generalisations that you've basically proved yourself narrow-minded thus your opinion is illegitimate. Plus go improve your spelling.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I always find it bizarre how people are bothered by gays. Why do you care where I stick my ****? (as long as its not in your child/dog/dead relative)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.