Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum, this seemed the most appropriate site for this. I have written a TFTP client, now I need to be able to graphically represent packet flow, for several of the packets.
    I have read various books in addition to TFTP RFC 1350, but still am confused regarding packet exchange (Acknowledgement sequence numbers).

Attached are the results of my code, detailing packets sent to the client from the server, and also the Word document containing the graphical representation (so far) of these results.
    Would someone be kind enough to check if what I am doing thus far is correct? It would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: txtTFTP Packet Exchange Results.txt (1.6 KB, 42 views)
  2. File Type: docxTFTP Packet Exchange.docx (13.2 KB, 55 views)

ReputationRep:
    what in particular are you asking about? I thought it was supposed to be game over when you recieved an error packet tbh... I can't even open your second file in word.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thanks for replying.I am stuck on the acknowledgement sequence numbers, do the have to be incremented or not? There is 1 occasion when receiving an error packet doesn't result in termination.
    Re-attached is the Word file.

Thanks again!
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: docTFTP Packet Exchange.doc (32.5 KB, 78 views)

ReputationRep:
    This is probably down to what the TFTP protocol specifies and what the server expects. Remember TFTP is udp based (rather than TCP) so any sequence and acnowledgements will be dealt with at that layer.

You might find it easier to debug if you get a packet capture of the data on the wire so you can see what's in there. tcpdump / wireshark are among the most useful tools when doing network programming.

ReputationRep:
    Packet sniffing's good - but I don't know how you'd simulate errors if you haven't got the code written yet. Or look at what someone else has done http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/TFTPclientCS.aspx

I've had a look at the RFC now and in protocol terms I don't think an error should be acked - you could optionally log or display the human readable part of the error if you wanted I guess but in terms of the protocol afaict it's no different from just simply not getting the next packet you were expecting within your timeout afaict. Fwiw the guy above seems to just ignore error packets and rely on a timeout with fixed number of retries.
    Either way it'll either recover or not, and if not you'll just eventually time out and go again from the initial request.

not that I'm any sort of expert

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.