Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a place on the teach first scheme that the government is trying to push.

I also have the opportunity to go into teaching trough the PGCE route. My interview is after Christmas.

I wondered if anyone has any views on the different routes/pro and cons of each.

In my particular situation, teach first want me to teach Science in a failing school that could be anywhere in England for 2 years in exchange for a PGCE and masters and then they say after the 2 years many more opportunities afterwards will present themselves, e.g. Policy first or fast track up the teaching ladder. It does sound tempting because the opportunities they were selling to me did sound tasty but I'm not so keen on teaching secondary.

However, I want to teach Primary and am also considering going down the PGCE route. Would my oppertunities afterwards be just as good? Would I be able to get a job influencing educational policy, be an academic.... as easily?:confused:

Thoughts please, the next 2 years of my short life depend on it!:eek:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velovelo)
    I have been offered a place on the teach first scheme that the government is trying to push.

I also have the opportunity to go into teaching trough the PGCE route. My interview is after Christmas.

I wondered if anyone has any views on the different routes/pro and cons of each.

In my particular situation, teach first want me to teach Science in a failing school that could be anywhere in England for 2 years in exchange for a PGCE and masters and then they say after the 2 years many more opportunities afterwards will present themselves, e.g. Policy first or fast track up the teaching ladder. It does sound tempting because the opportunities they were selling to me did sound tasty but I'm not so keen on teaching secondary.

However, I want to teach Primary and am also considering going down the PGCE route. Would my oppertunities afterwards be just as good? Would I be able to get a job influencing educational policy, be an academic.... as easily?:confused:

You need to decide what you want to do. The first decision you need to make is Primary v Secondary. I suggest you get some school experience as soon as possible. They are very different jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velovelo)

Well, you can do Primary on TF. Why did you not apply for that? E-mail them, and ask if you can be moved.

I would double check that it is OK to apply to both. I remember reading on the TF website, that they will withdraw their offer if they find out that you have applied to a PGCE in the same year.

ReputationRep:
    “Would my opportunities afterwards be just as good?”.

It really depends on your long-term goals. Firstly, if Primary education is where you see your interest (as a teacher or academic) then you really need to get trained as a Primary teacher.

Once you have resolved that, if you want to move into government policy or out of teaching, then Teach First may be the better route, as it is the darling of this government at least. With regards to academia, with Teach First you have the chance to study for a masters in leadership (whatever that means), whereas with a PGCE you have chance to go on to do a (more established) masters in education, and the latter may be preferable if your goal is to do research in education.

Also, be a little sceptical about all that Teach First is selling you in the way of opportunities. Here is a quote from a government commissioned report (2006) titled “An evaluation of innovative approaches to teacher training on the Teach First programme”:
    “Less than half felt that Teach First had supported them in getting the jobs they wanted. Possibly they had expected too much, assuming that the prestige of the programme and the involvement of various companies as sponsors and supporters would boost their chances of getting onto prestigious graduate training schemes, and that Teach First staff would offer direct support with this. Some felt very let down: “During my job hunting I was expecting Teach First to have more clout with their sponsors for example by getting them to guarantee first round interviews, or to provide constructive feedback after an unsuccessful interview (which employers are often reluctant to do). (Cohort 1)””

Finally, it’s all very well to have a fast track up the teaching ladder, but if that is in a secondary school, when you’re heart is set on Primary education, will you be truly motivated and fulfilled?

ReputationRep:
    Also teach first is not an internationally recognised qualification, where as a PGCE is, which may be something to consider if you are not sure if life will keep you in the UK
    But as the others have rightfully commented, your initial decision will need to be what level you wish to teach: primary or secondary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liveware)
    “Would my opportunities afterwards be just as good?”.

It really depends on your long-term goals. Firstly, if Primary education is where you see your interest (as a teacher or academic) then you really need to get trained as a Primary teacher.

Once you have resolved that, if you want to move into government policy or out of teaching, then Teach First may be the better route, as it is the darling of this government at least. With regards to academia, with Teach First you have the chance to study for a masters in leadership (whatever that means), whereas with a PGCE you have chance to go on to do a (more established) masters in education, and the latter may be preferable if your goal is to do research in education.

Also, be a little sceptical about all that Teach First is selling you in the way of opportunities. Here is a quote from a government commissioned report (2006) titled “An evaluation of innovative approaches to teacher training on the Teach First programme”:
    “Less than half felt that Teach First had supported them in getting the jobs they wanted. Possibly they had expected too much, assuming that the prestige of the programme and the involvement of various companies as sponsors and supporters would boost their chances of getting onto prestigious graduate training schemes, and that Teach First staff would offer direct support with this. Some felt very let down: “During my job hunting I was expecting Teach First to have more clout with their sponsors for example by getting them to guarantee first round interviews, or to provide constructive feedback after an unsuccessful interview (which employers are often reluctant to do). (Cohort 1)””

Finally, it’s all very well to have a fast track up the teaching ladder, but if that is in a secondary school, when you’re heart is set on Primary education, will you be truly motivated and fulfilled?

Be aware of what some people tell you because this person has clearly not done even the minimum amount of research into Teach First and others may have a bias towards Teach First etc etc.

Teach First does a masters in leadership and a separate one in education and masters in a combination of the two depending on which region your are places and what the partner unis are offering.

Its true to be aware of what Teach First are offering you. They may have a lot of really good contacts but obviously they aren't just going to give you brilliant job when you finish your two years...

ReputationRep:
    "...this person has clearly not done even the minimum amount of research into Teach First..."

I invite anyone to do their own and make their own minds up: http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/o...education.html

University of Manchester MA Education (Teach First Leadership)
    University of Warwick MA Educational Leadership (Teach First)
    Institute of Education MA Leadership (Teach First)

Above are the names of masters degrees available through Teach First from the regional providers. In my above post I summarised these as "masters in leadership" which I think is a fair description, notwithstanding the above comment. The point I was making was that for a career in education research a masters in education (from the above universities or others) is the more established route. By the same token, if you are keen on senior management or headship in a school, then education leadership may be more appropriate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.