Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

cant cope, very depressed :( Watch

Announcements

I need advice, please my life is going downhill,

ever since moving to sixth form I have been soo depressed, things have been so tough on me, family issues, problems with everything and fitting into my 6th form where all i can see is b**** people, i know i am suppose to be positive but i have even tried being positive, i really have, but things just go worse,

my teachers arent helpful at all, infact they have been making my life hell!! they really have, they even went to the point they made some horrible comments about one of my friends and how "state schools need better teachers" when i was standing there, (i go to a grammar sixth form, me and my friend are from state schools) and i think i might fail jan exams, my mocks are going badly, but i have started to work hard, really hard now, trying to ignore things,

but i cant cope with the depression, everyday i feel like not going at all, shall i just move, even though it is too late, shall i just leave?? please help me, i dont know what to do anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

ever since moving to sixth form I have been soo depressed, things have been so tough on me, family issues, problems with everything and fitting into my 6th form where all i can see is b**** people, i know i am suppose to be positive but i have even tried being positive, i really have, but things just go worse,

my teachers arent helpful at all, infact they have been making my life hell!! they really have, they even went to the point they made some horrible comments about one of my friends and how "state schools need better teachers" when i was standing there, (i go to a grammar sixth form, me and my friend are from state schools) and i think i might fail jan exams, my mocks are going badly, but i have started to work hard, really hard now, trying to ignore things,

but i cant cope with the depression, everyday i feel like not going at all, shall i just move, even though it is too late, shall i just leave?? please help me, i dont know what to do anymore
    You could go to the doctors and get put on anti-depressants to get you through exams and such, then when you have some freeer time (eg: summer holidays) you can look at coming off them and starting to sort out your life so that you don't feel depressed anymore.

Of course how you go about doing that is up to you, but you could always speak to someone about it if you're really down and not sure what to do. Eg: Counsellor, parents, other family, etc...

ReputationRep:

Firstly, I would avoid things like antidepressants. They have a list of nasty side effects, and from personal experience in taking them, they rarely work. I hated taking them because it made me feel like my moods were chemically determined, and I had no control over how I wanted to feel. Not pleasant!
    But back to your problem with school. I know how much of a nuisance sixth form/college can be. If you've been having family issues at home and its interfering with your work, then you have perfectly legitimate reasons to have time off. Heck, they have me one in uni earlier this year for a month or so where I was allowed to work at home, so its perfectly within reason for you. You can also resit or delay exams if these reasons affected you.
    Aside from that, definitely consider seeing a school councillor/nurse, they should be able to give you support through times like this, and if they're not, then they're not doing their job.

(Original post by BlazingApostle)
    Firstly, I would avoid things like antidepressants. They have a list of nasty side effects, and from personal experience in taking them, they rarely work. I hated taking them because it made me feel like my moods were chemically determined, and I had no control over how I wanted to feel. Not pleasant!
    But back to your problem with school. I know how much of a nuisance sixth form/college can be. If you've been having family issues at home and its interfering with your work, then you have perfectly legitimate reasons to have time off. Heck, they have me one in uni earlier this year for a month or so where I was allowed to work at home, so its perfectly within reason for you. You can also resit or delay exams if these reasons affected you.
    Aside from that, definitely consider seeing a school councillor/nurse, they should be able to give you support through times like this, and if they're not, then they're not doing their job.
    thank you, im terrified, i really am, but now unis looks at your resits , the school is a horrible place, my parents have even realised after parents evening and they hate the place, im not sure i might just end up taking a gap year,

ReputationRep:
    thank you, im terrified, i really am, but now unis looks at your resits , the school is a horrible place, my parents have even realised after parents evening and they hate the place, im not sure i might just end up taking a gap year,
    All I can add is - I found (in my situation) that when I was having a bad time in college, my work generally suffered. In fact, I ultimately didn't into my first choice uni because i 'grinned and bared it' so to speak. Dont make the same mistake I did! Hope things pick up for you soon!

ReputationRep:
    Do, some physical exercise, it takes the mind off problems.

ReputationRep:

i've been through depression and recently come out of it after 5 years. Message me if u wanna talk about it. I feel i have a duty to help people cos i wasn't helped for many years.

(Original post by blue_shift86)
    i've been through depression and recently come out of it after 5 years. Message me if u wanna talk about it. I feel i have a duty to help people cos i wasn't helped for many years.
    im sorry, and i hope you are better now, and yes i do need help, but can i ask you what happened? and i know what its feeling like, the most awful time period in my life ever,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.