Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm on a gap year - can I get help with dental treatment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    I'm taking a gap year at the moment, and I've applied to university. I've currently got two unconditional offers, so I'm definitely going to uni next year.

At the moment I'm looking after my disabled grandmother (who lives with me) and I get £50 a week for this. I'm also sort-of looking for a part time job, but I'm really limited as I need to be home at least 30 hours a week to take care of my nan, which puts me in quite a bad situation as I can't afford to pay for dental or optical treatment.

Technically I could also claim Job Seekers Allowance, but I feel that would be dishonest as I'm not looking that hard for a part time job because I'm so busy and I know for a fact that there aren't many jobs going which are local and part time.

Is there any way I could get help towards dental/optical treatment in my situation? I desperately need new glasses and I think I need a filling, but I just can't afford it at the moment without help.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I took a gap year, and unfortunately i had to pay the full whack, which is completely ridiculous :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Awwh, man :\ Tough break! It's not lookin' good for me either then. I might take a walk down to the Job Centre and see what they have to say about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuiceboxPhantom)
    Hello.
    I'm taking a gap year at the moment, and I've applied to university. I've currently got two unconditional offers, so I'm definitely going to uni next year.

At the moment I'm looking after my disabled grandmother (who lives with me) and I get £50 a week for this. I'm also sort-of looking for a part time job, but I'm really limited as I need to be home at least 30 hours a week to take care of my nan, which puts me in quite a bad situation as I can't afford to pay for dental or optical treatment.

Technically I could also claim Job Seekers Allowance, but I feel that would be dishonest as I'm not looking that hard for a part time job because I'm so busy and I know for a fact that there aren't many jobs going which are local and part time.

Is there any way I could get help towards dental/optical treatment in my situation? I desperately need new glasses and I think I need a filling, but I just can't afford it at the moment without help.

Any advice?
    It might be worth getting onto JSA, it wouldn't be dishonest when you're claiming as you need to show proof that you are actually searching ie you would have to search! If anything it would be a lot more money for a little more work though in your situation I imagine it would be difficult for you to find a job but with their help you might actually get something.

Sucks about the dental treatment but I'm pretty sure you can get some kind of reduction if you're on JSA? I'm not sure though but it might be something similar to prescription charges (again, not sure as I'm from Scotland so it might be different where you are)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.