Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS History - Anyone else finding it challenging? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So for AS levels I took English Lit, Law, Media and History.

The other three seem to be going really well, I get the subject and don't have any worries.

The only one I'm struggling with is History, I knew when I took it that it would be hard, but the workload seems so intense. My teacher's style of teaching is to run straight through it all and expect us to get it. I honestly feel as if I'm going to fail it.

To top it all off I have the first exam in January, I read the sample questions and I don't feel confident with any of them!

Is anyone else finding it as hard as me? Also to anyone doing it and finding it easy, any tips? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! I was in a similar position to you last year... actually, we picked almost identical subjects (English Lit, History, Law and Film studies)... I recomend that you purchase a revision book from your exam board for your particular topic and revise like hell. There is really no right and wrong way to go about your History exam, just remember, you can NEVER revise TOO much! Make sure you get in a lot of practice questions and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I did AS last year and got an A grade so if you want to ask me any questions feel free xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black-lemur)
    So for AS levels I took English Lit, Law, Media and History.
    The other three seem to be going really well, I get the subject and don't have any worries.

The only one I'm struggling with is History, I knew when I took it that it would be hard, but the workload seems so intense. My teacher's style of teaching is to run straight through it all and expect us to get it. I honestly feel as if I'm going to fail it.

To top it all off I have the first exam in January, I read the sample questions and I don't feel confident with any of them!

Is anyone else finding it as hard as me? Also to anyone doing it and finding it easy, any tips? :rolleyes:
    I'm doing Law and History too, but I'm doing Anceint history which, to be honest is very hard because you get given this source book which is laden with just loads of **** and it's so intimidating, but I'm finding the course realy interesting so yeah..But I have th exam in june so it's not that bad, because it means I have time to adjust. As someone suggested, get a revision book which will help you a lot. Oh, and how's the Law going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wedgely)
    Don't worry! I was in a similar position to you last year... actually, we picked almost identical subjects (English Lit, History, Law and Film studies)... I recomend that you purchase a revision book from your exam board for your particular topic and revise like hell. There is really no right and wrong way to go about your History exam, just remember, you can NEVER revise TOO much! Make sure you get in a lot of practice questions and you should be fine
    I might just do that There's a set textbook but it has huge amounts of information in. I'm guessing a revision guide would be more clear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pensivedore)
    I'm doing Law and History too, but I'm doing Anceint history which, to be honest is very hard because you get given this source book which is laden with just loads of **** and it's so intimidating, but I'm finding the course realy interesting so yeah..But I have th exam in june so it's not that bad, because it means I have time to adjust. As someone suggested, get a revision book which will help you a lot. Oh, and how's the Law going?
    We don't have sources just yet, I think those come after xmas when we do Germany. (I think I do Modern History)

The Law is actually going amazing! It's my favourite subject so far, I love the fact I just get it and my teacher is possibly the best I've ever had! How's it going for you?

ReputationRep:
    I might just do that There's a set textbook but it has huge amounts of information in. I'm guessing a revision guide would be more clear?
    Yeah, that could work. Just try and condense down the time periods as much as possible and plan possible answers. Just don't do what I did in my first exam... Spend 20 mins on a 12 mark question just to find that you have been writing about the wrong thing, cross it out and then start again. :eek: In all fairness... I still managed 98/100 so it wasn't too bad Which modules are you doing anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wedgely)
    Yeah, that could work. Just try and condense down the time periods as much as possible and plan possible answers. Just don't do what I did in my first exam... Spend 20 mins on a 12 mark question just to find that you have been writing about the wrong thing, cross it out and then start again. :eek: In all fairness... I still managed 98/100 so it wasn't too bad Which modules are you doing anyway?
    Blimey you must be a fast writer to recover from that!

Modules... I'm doing Russia 1855-1917 but I don't know which module it is. I have to say I HATE Russia now, there's too many Tsar's, rebellions and revolutions.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have sources just yet, I think those come after xmas when we do Germany. (I think I do Modern History)

The Law is actually going amazing! It's my favourite subject so far, I love the fact I just get it and my teacher is possibly the best I've ever had! How's it going for you?
    Same! I'm realy enjoying it, although I've heard that some unis don't like you having a Law Alevel if you want to do it at uni? Other than that, it's going great, I have my mock for it on monday and tuesday ('cause it's two hours so we have to do it on two days) and so I've just been revising, I bought the text book that we use for it (AQA Law for AS by Jacqueline Martin) from amazon and it is helping me SO MUCH, I realy recommend you buy it..I think it's like, £7.00 now..:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pensivedore)

Same! I'm realy enjoying it, although I've heard that some unis don't like you having a Law Alevel if you want to do it at uni? Other than that, it's going great, I have my mock for it on monday and tuesday ('cause it's two hours so we have to do it on two days) and so I've just been revising, I bought the text book that we use for it (AQA Law for AS by Jacqueline Martin) from amazon and it is helping me SO MUCH, I realy recommend you buy it..I think it's like, £7.00 now..:cool:
    I heard that and then someone told me that they're indifferent towards it. It doesn't disadvantage you, but it doesn't help you that much either, so I think we're ok Is that what you wanted to do at Uni?

When I started my course we had to buy the textbook that we use for it to, I dunno if we use different books though. I use AQA Law AS by Jennifer Currer, Nick Price and Peter Smith, and I find it super helpful too, have a feeling it's written by AQA themselves. Cost a pretty penny at £20 though. I'll have a look at the other one though, more textbooks are probably better than less
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Oh you sound like me last year!

Just make sure you explain why something happened, not how.

ReputationRep:
    I find the source questions difficult, but the others aren't particularly hard, they just require work. So, yeah, a little bit

ReputationRep:
    If youve got any questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    I heard that and then someone told me that they're indifferent towards it. It doesn't disadvantage you, but it doesn't help you that much either, so I think we're ok Is that what you wanted to do at Uni?

When I started my course we had to buy the textbook that we use for it to, I dunno if we use different books though. I use AQA Law AS by Jennifer Currer, Nick Price and Peter Smith, and I find it super helpful too, have a feeling it's written by AQA themselves. Cost a pretty penny at £20 though. I'll have a look at the other one though, more textbooks are probably better than less
    Yeah, I still realy want to do it!
    Oh, realy? We got givven text books to use in class but if we wanted to buy our own we could, but I think the teacher's gonna make the rest of the class buy their own text books because 4 of them have gone missing already LOL, it's quite funny, actually, but when I put my text book back in my bag EVERYONE turned round and was like "THIEF! WE HAVE CAUGHT THE THIEF" and I'd sort of just take my book out and say "I swear this is my own book, look check the back it's mine, MINE! Yeah, :cool:.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you on?
    I did History last year on Edexcel and got an A, so if you need any help...

ReputationRep:
    Before exams what revision strategy works best for everyone?

ReputationRep:
    What course you doing and exam board?

ReputationRep:
    I'd also recommend practicing concise writing.

I found half of the hard bit (besides a minimum of 6 hours note taking and reading a week) to be managing to fit your answer in the time given. I'm not sure if your exam board is similar, but i got roughly one minute per mark, so it was 25 minutes for a 24 mark essay which would usually be approx 3 sides of A4 to get sufficient detail...

Year 13 it goes up to 45 Mark questions in 45 minutes.

I presume your English lit will also help you on this.

ReputationRep:
    I do history and English lit too!
    And to answer your question, I find it quite challenging.. the work load is massive.
    I guess you just have to stay on top of it! Good luck in your jan exam

ReputationRep:
    Gernally i find it fairly easy, im good at history and find it easy to learn the stuff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.