Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have a contract exam next week about offer and acceptance, I've been attempting some practise questions during which I have realised I have no idea how to structure my answer! Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure you can have a universal structure, it surely depends on the question.

My knowledge of contract law is :

a. very old
    b. based on Scots Law

However the key points to me would be:

Know your cases re all the undernoted:

Consider timing re offer/acceptances; post, acceptable form of acceptance etc
    Consider consensus
    Consider consideration
    Capacity to contract, void and voidable
    In Scotland consider "Unilateral Gratuitious Promise"
    Required proof for the type of contract (land etc) Writ/ Oath of other party, but also in Scotland "Homologation" and "Rei Interventus"
    Unfair Contract Terms Act
    Implied fitness
    Sale of Goods Act
    Relevant employment legislation if your course strays into this area.

If in England a lot of the above may be redundant, I am afraid I have no knowledge of English Law.

Sorry I can't be more specific/ helpful, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    In problems you need to be as systematic as possible - this way you clearly consider all of the issues, it makes sense, you don't miss stuff out and it is easy for an examiner to follow

I find the best approach in offer and acceptance questions is to go through each statement/event, one by one, and establish what its legal significance is. Consider whether it is a valid offer or acceptance (or a invitation to treat or a counter offer), and if relevant consider what that statement/event takes effect.

Then its just a matter of stating and applying that you need an offer and acceptance.

n.b. I'm assuming we are talking about questions that are only about o+a and whether there is a contract in the first place; not battle of the forms type cases where we have separate offers going back and forth and end up with partial performance and/or acceptance by conduct and have an issue as to what the terms are - that's a wee bit more complicated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.