The Student Room Group

Can you recommend any chemistry or physics books for further reading?

Just started year 12 and am lacking in knowledge in physics and chemistry. Its a possibility that I could carry on one of these to university. Any suggestions on any interesting books which arent too complicated yet make a good read?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Why chemical reactions happen is excellent. You might not be able to get much out of it at this stage but over the summer you should find it interesting, at least in parts.
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
Why chemical reactions happen is excellent. You might not be able to get much out of it at this stage but over the summer you should find it interesting, at least in parts.

This.
Reply 3
Original post by BJack

This.

And QED by Richard Feynman
Bohr and Quantum Theory by Paul Strathern
The Periodic Table by Primo Levi
Reply 4
At a similar stage to you I read 'quantum theory cannot hurt you' by Marcus Chown. I really enjoyed it...
Reply 5
Why does E=mc^2 (and why should we care) - Physics
Reply 6
Also by Paul Strathern, Mendeleyev's Dream is good. It won't help at all getting marks in exams and stuff but its interesting to read and helps in interview :smile:
Reply 7
13 things that don't make sense by Michael Brooks
He's a new science writer. Very easy read, obviously describing things that 'don't make sense' so better for providing an interesting scientific read rather than providing knowledge.
Original post by BJack

Seconded (thirded?)... Also general interest quantum mechanics books might be useful for both courses; this is a very weird topic which would benefit from a layman style introduction.
If you ever find an interest in engineering or materials, 'The New Science of Strong Materials; Or Why We don't Fall Through The Floor' is great and very easy to read for its subject, its a bit of an old book, but still very good.
Reply 10
Original post by Sammydemon
Seconded (thirded?)... Also general interest quantum mechanics books might be useful for both courses; this is a very weird topic which would benefit from a layman style introduction.

'Why chemical reactions happen' is quite an expensive book but i noticed three of you said it was a good. It may sound like i'm being a bit stingy but in your opinion is it worth the price?
Original post by mike171193
'Why chemical reactions happen' is quite an expensive book but i noticed three of you said it was a good. It may sound like i'm being a bit stingy but in your opinion is it worth the price?

It teaches you a lot of fundamental stuff that is only skimmed over or not taught at all in A-level syllabusses. It's only £18 anyway, wait until you have to start buying £50 text books!
Reply 12
Original post by Sammydemon
It teaches you a lot of fundamental stuff that is only skimmed over or not taught at all in A-level syllabusses. It's only £18 anyway, wait until you have to start buying £50 text books!

You make a very good point, I might buy it this weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest