Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for buying Free Weights Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking to buy some free weights. Ideally I want weights to work my arms. (Tricep bar?)

If I could have one larger bar that would fit for bigger weights to purchase in the future i.e. for deadlifts..

If the weights looked good that would be better as well. I know looks aren't important for weights but my last one's ended up crumbling -- and I want these wants to sit around the house.

I don't really know where to buy and what to get, so any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would reccomend anything by YORK.

I started lifting weights about 9 months to a year ago. At first I bought some cheap-n-cheerful weights but had to take them back as the spinlock collars hadn't been made properly and didn't screw on. Following that I got some YORK weights which I have had since and have had no problems with.

Hope this is helpful to you

ReputationRep:
    Argos has some cheap ones. Check out some local ex-catalogue shops too.

ReputationRep:
    Recently started and bought.

Bodypower - 105Kg TRI-GRIP Olympic Weight Set

149.99, from fitness superstore.

Basically, if you want them to last then may as well do it properly. Full size bar (you need the space though) and 105kg of decent weights should keep you happy for a while.

Might not be what you are after though. Smash some google searches and read read read and learn what it is you want. That's what i bought anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look on ebay, weights command a premium new but if you're willing to drive and pick some up you can get some great deals .

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're also going to buy a bench and a cage (and therefore spend up to £1000), you're wasting your money. Just get a gym membership.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...mpaign=Froogle

That's the bench I have at home, although I still use the gym at school it's a great bench although it's a little thin if anything, it's still probably the 2nd best bench press I have used, the only bench I have used which is better is the Hammer Strength which my school use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Unless you're also going to buy a bench and a cage (and therefore spend up to £1000), you're wasting your money. Just get a gym membership.
    A cage? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milan5baros)
    A cage? :confused:
    Its what you stand in while you do curls

seriously though buy a gym membership if you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Its what you stand in while you do curls

seriously though buy a gym membership if you can
    Yeah that's what I though. :cool:

Yeah, I'd prefer that but it would be sweet to have some stuff at home also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milan5baros)
    Yeah that's what I though. :cool:

Yeah, I'd prefer that but it would be sweet to have some stuff at home also.
    Its just if you plan on doing anything other than curls you will get to a point where you need a gym, unless you have lots of £ss
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    If I was going to buy any free weight, the first place I would look would be local (newspapers, gumtree etc) for people that just want to get rid. If you've got transport then your options are a little better and you may well grab a bargain.

I recently bought over £200 worth of weights, bars and bench for £50. I don't even need all of it... I may end up selling it on or just keep it for future use but it was too good to turn down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    If I was going to buy any free weight, the first place I would look would be local (newspapers, gumtree etc) for people that just want to get rid. If you've got transport then your options are a little better and you may well grab a bargain.

I recently bought over £200 worth of weights, bars and bench for £50. I don't even need all of it... I may end up selling it on or just keep it for future use but it was too good to turn down.
    Pretty nice. Where did you get if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)

Olympic bar?

How much in weight did you get for 200?

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it was olympic bar and weights, those things go for close to £500 from near where I'm from! But yeah the local newspapers are a great place to start!

ReputationRep:
    I got 220kg in Olympic plates, a plate storage tree, a 7ft Olympic (28mm diameter) barbell, commercial bench with spotter platforms and a squat rack for about £360. Everything was secondhand apart from the barbell which I got for £60.

Whereabouts are you located? How much have you got to spend?

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to get new, this is probably one of the best places: Weights and Barbells.

Not argos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    If you're going to get new, this is probably one of the best places: Weights and Barbells.

Not argos.
    Are most freeweights standard? I.e. you could by a quality set of York ones and then buy heavier plates without having to make sure they fit?

ReputationRep:
    'standard' implies a 1" diameter bar and weight set. 'Olympic' implies a 2" diameter bar and weight set. You want to get an Olympic set tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    'standard' implies a 1" diameter bar and weight set. 'Olympic' implies a 2" diameter bar and weight set. You want to get an Olympic set tbh.
    So the 2" sets should be interchangeable? Thanks, I'll make sure I get Olympic then.

While I have your attention, could you please check out my post in the ask Powerlifter thread?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.