Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I've been in hospital for the past 2 weeks (since 25th nov) after enduring unbearable pains in my legs. After lots of blood tests and various other tests and two transfers, I've been diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (cancer of the blood).

Now I'm sure not many people going through various stages of cancer treatment will be on the student room like me (I thank the wonder of my BT mobile internet dongle for being able to go online in hospital) :rolleyes: but I just wanted to make this thread for anyone who may be going through treatment or knows someone who is going through treatment at the minute.

For anyone who this thread does apply to, may I wish you or the person you know well through the treatment. Also, I'd like to acknowledge the various cancer charities around (for example in the UK: Macmillan Cancer Support, Cancer Research UK and CLIC Sargent) because before I was diagnosed I really had no idea of how much they actually do to help with finding cures for cancer.

This is the first time I've really involved myself with anything like this and it is a shame that it took me actually getting the disease to realise it... but it'd be nice if we had a thread where we can talk about how people are progressing through treatment and any positives you have gained from recieving treatment or helping someone through treatment. It's a light-hearted thread (quite scarce on TSR )!

ReputationRep:
    My fiancé went through 6 months of treatment for Hodgkin's earlier this year - it was fairly hideous but at least it's all over now, and thankfully he never had to be admitted to hospital. He's on TSR so I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you wanted to PM him.

I hope that your treatment goes well and that you are strong enough to get out of hospital soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    My fiancé went through 6 months of treatment for Hodgkin's earlier this year - it was fairly hideous but at least it's all over now, and thankfully he never had to be admitted to hospital. He's on TSR so I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you wanted to PM him.

I hope that your treatment goes well and that you are strong enough to get out of hospital soon
    Congrats to your fiancé for getting through it And thanks for your support. I should be able to get out of hospital by mid January if all goes to plan so yay

Also lucky him for being treated as an out patient! They will eventually do that with me but this hospital is like 50 miles away from home so I guess it's good that I'm in here for the treatment first. One of my treatment days is on xmas day though :dry: typical.

Oh well, just gotta take things as they come I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    Someone very close to me was diagnosed with Leukaemia a few weeks ago. Not sure what type though. Don't really talk much about it with him. Was a bit of a shock but you know, just got to get on with it I suppose. It's a bit of a roller coaster right now but he's doing well. Don't know what this post will achieve but ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Someone very close to me was diagnosed with Leukaemia a few weeks ago. Not sure what type though. Don't really talk much about it with him. Was a bit of a shock but you know, just got to get on with it I suppose. It's a bit of a roller coaster right now but he's doing well. Don't know what this post will achieve but ah well.
    Well, I wish him every success with his treatment

ReputationRep:
    Get well soon

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.