Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So are YOU now not going to uni because of the raised fees? -poll- watch

• View Poll Results: Are you still planning on going to uni despite the raised fees?
    Yes
    79.69%
    No
    20.31%

ReputationRep:
    I'm definately still going, mainly because I still want a high level of education and I hope to achieve alot in my life prior to my education.. even though it'll take years for me to pay it all back =[

I know alot of people that aren't going and it's sad really but lol at the huge crowd saying we hope the world ends in 2012 because of the raised tuition fees.

so, just want to know if the fellow tsr-ians are still going?

ReputationRep:
    'I still want a high level of education and I hope to achieve alot in my life prior to my education'

er, what?

ReputationRep:
    am finishing in 2012 but I would advise people not to spend 9grand on a degree, it is really getting to breaking point now for us. Go abroad or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.laurence)
    I'm definately still going, mainly because I still want a high level of education and I hope to achieve alot in my life prior to my education.. even though it'll take years for me to pay it all back =[

I know alot of people that aren't going and it's sad really but lol at the huge crowd saying we hope the world ends in 2012 because of the raised tuition fees.

so, just want to know if the fellow tsr-ians are still going?
    Thankfully it doesn't affect me.

It would be a turn-off if it did, I'd have to see what support was provided and read up a bit more on the policy.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I think if doing a degree will get you exactly where you want to be in your life, for example medicine, it's almost worth getting into debt

ReputationRep:
    but lol at the huge crowd saying we hope the world ends in 2012 because of the raised tuition fees.
    Yes, 'lol at that' indeed

ReputationRep:
    I am still going but I am going next year so it wont affect me.

ReputationRep:
    Of course.

Love how you changed the title to give a very misleading statistic, either that or I failed massively in reading the first time around.

To clarify, I will still be going to university.

I'm still going.

I'm not 'rich' (or a 'toff' etc), but, I still believe, at upto £9,000, it's still excellent value for money.

ReputationRep:
    yes i still plan to go because the £30,000 debt, or whatever it will be, will be worth it for the better job prospects and the up to £300k more earned over my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    still going, if you're determined to go - why should tuition fees get in the way?

I'm definately still going, mainly because I still want a high level of education and I hope to achieve alot in my life prior to my education..
    Good, looks like you need it.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the "I have already been to uni but wanted to vote anyway" button?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Saw A good quote in a poster's sig that I feel is appropriate. If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't affect me (and wouldn't even if I was starting in 2012 - thanks to being Welsh), but if it did I would be seriously reconsidering.
    Certainly I would be looking very closely at any differences in the cost between universities (rather than just the reputation and location), and I probably would have gone to a uni closer to home.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I am starting next September so I don't think its going to effect me. Even if i did I would still go.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to Uni so avoided a small fortune being spent so I have great sympathy for those having to pay the increased fees next year. I volunteered in India to develop my CV which was a great talking point at my first job interview - thankfully I didn't have to do any more because I was offered the job. I think what the papers are saying at the moment about employers seeing a gap year as valuable as a degree is very true. I went with Africa & Asia Venture who sent me to a remote tribe in Northern India. It was the most amazing place and a fantastic opportunity for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure about 36 people just clicked yes to make a point. Considering no one so far has posted other than to say no or that they're already at uni...

ReputationRep:
    I think the majority of the people who claimed that they "wouldn't be able to afford it" will just get the loans out and go anyway.

And to those of you who AREN'T going as a matter of principle- it's only yourself you're hurting. Do you really think the government will suffer because you don't have a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German Jaime)
    am finishing in 2012 but I would advise people not to spend 9grand on a degree, it is really getting to breaking point now for us. Go abroad or something
    If this is how much you value your own degree, then I really wish you hadn't taken your government funded course and we could have saved money in the process.

Again, this is the reason the cuts are needed

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.