Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University fees for current year 13s Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was looking forward to going to uni next year however due to the raise in fees, I no longer am.
    My questions is - do higher fees apply to current year 13s (will be going to uni in 2011) during the first year and if they do not, do they apply in later years?

ReputationRep:
    No. They will not apply to you at all if you are starting in 2011.

ReputationRep:
    i think i am right in saying that you pay the same tuition fees all the years you are at uni, so you will pay the £3290 or whatever it is all three/four years of your course. the changes in tuition fees will not affect you
    go enjoy uni!

ReputationRep:
    No and no. You'll pay the £3000 fees.

ReputationRep:
    Im so glad I wasn't born a year later :/

ReputationRep:
    No, and actually you will 'benefit' from the inflation being applied to the £15,000 threshold for repayment.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I heard something like that in the debates prior to the voting.

Anyone confirm?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you pay the standard £3290 this year plus inflation, no huge rise in tuition fees

ReputationRep:
    Thank you lord is all I can say.
    Close one though. 23 days and I would have to pay £9k.
    Thank you everyone who replied.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 95% sure we only get one year at the normal cost. The next years will be at the increased fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xardzio)
    Thank you lord is all I can say.
    Close one though. 23 days and I would have to pay £9k.
    Thank you everyone who replied.
    3 days earlier and I'd be at uni with lower fees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    I'm 95% sure we only get one year at the normal cost. The next years will be at the increased fees.
    your 95% wrong lol thank god

ReputationRep:
    Nope, our fees stick at £3,200

...Bad luck year 12s :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    THIS MAKES ME HAPPY! Provide a source of information? My offer letter from Exeter states that fees will be likely to increase for me in subsequent years?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I would appreciate some sort of proof.

ReputationRep:
    THIS MAKES ME HAPPY! Provide a source of information? My offer letter from Exeter states that fees will be likely to increase for me in subsequent years?
    They probably meant the application of inflation.

Are you 2011 entry? If you are, you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    It is just true, I don't know what source to quote specifically. Exeter are probably just talking about fee rises with inflation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it £3k for 2011 entry and it is £3k for 2012 deferred entry at the university's discretion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    They probably meant the application of inflation.

Are you 2011 entry? If you are, you have nothing to worry about.
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    It is just true, I don't know what source to quote specifically. Exeter are probably just talking about fee rises with inflation.
    Yes I'm 2011 entry thank god, this is going to make me revise like mad knowing that so much money rests on me going to university this year. I would still like some proof though, I've been under my previous impression for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xardzio)
    Indeed, I would appreciate some sort of proof.
    When will the proposals take effect?

Ministers intend to bring in the new system in time for it to take effect from September 2012. Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees, and there are concerns that there will be a rush for places in 2011 before the new regime kicks in. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study. "

From BBC. They have a great Q&A on tuition fees.

Source
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11483638

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    When will the proposals take effect?

Ministers intend to bring in the new system in time for it to take effect from September 2012. Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees, and there are concerns that there will be a rush for places in 2011 before the new regime kicks in. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study. "

From BBC. They have a great Q&A on tuition fees.

Source
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11483638
    Thank you.
    This is what I needed.
    Everyone's help is gravely appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.