Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There is one key thing that the protesters have been getting wrong, and have been getting wrong for a couple of centuries now.

This is a lack of hoplons/pikes.

When unable to source firearms, it is essential to be equipped with a weapon that can both keep the enemy at distance, whilst also providing an offensive advantage.

Today there were several instances where the use of a phalanx would have turned the tables on the riot police.

One point in particular sticks in my mind: the police were attempting to contain a large band of protesters in one area, whilst stopping another band from joining them. This was the scene of that cavalry charge from the police.

Now, firstly: if the protesters were equipped with pikes, the aforementioned cavalry charge could have been easily fought off, with the mounted police routing back towards the lines of the other group of protesters. These protesters, also armed with pikes would have been able to close in on the retreating police.

I'm sure y'all can see where I'm going with this.

Basically, the protesters has an opportunity to kettle the police themselves, however a lack of pikes afforded the police an advantage, from their heavy horse.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keb9PNlf8uk ?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, schiltrons and infantry squares require discipline to withstand cavalry charges - something very students appear to have or understand these days.

Secondly, if you turn up with pikes (assuming you manage to get them there), the Police response with simply be modified as required. Just look at the pathetic attempts to attack the police lines with fencing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninja-lewis)
    Firstly, schiltrons and infantry squares require discipline to withstand cavalry charges - something very students appear to have or understand these days.

Secondly, if you turn up with pikes (assuming you manage to get them there), the Police response with simply be modified as required. Just look at the pathetic attempts to attack the police lines with fencing.
    nothing can defeat an infantry square, in which all 4 sides are phalanxes - NOTHING

true story

(Original post by Barden)
      nothing can defeat an infantry square, in which all 4 sides are phalanxes - NOTHING

true story

I beg to differ! Modern warfare ftw!

ReputationRep:
      But what if the cops get out of range and start to use arrows? true, you could lift the pikes for minimal damage, but whilst the pikes are lifted a small raid could be carried out. The students would no longer have use of the pikes; they are in the air.... i dunno.

ReputationRep:
      Sorry Phalanxes are easy to break if you know how and carrying pikes is a hassle. The plural of hoplon is hopla and you're trying to use it to mean shields which would be an aspis in the singular and aspides or aspidai in the plural depending on time.

Good idea though I see where you're going. What you need is STREAKERs. That's right. Naked people. In gask masks, with tasers. Pretty sure the Police haven't been trained in dealing with the psychological shock factor.

ReputationRep:
      Bro... you have been watching too much Braveheart.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Barden)

true story
      Ave Caesar

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sushidelight)
      Bro... you have been watching too much Braveheart.

playing too much total war actually...

Personally, I think they could use flagpoles and the sort to dismount police cavalry.

Fireworks also make the horses panic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.