Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I passed the AST aptitude tests and now have my selection interview coming up soon. I am applying for airman role in personnel support. They said I would be asked about the trade training. I know it is in the RAF Secretarial Training School at Southwick Park in Hampshire but I can't find much more information about the trade training. Does any one know where I find this?

Also, I get really nervous for interviews. The sticky about the process has helped. I was wondering if there are any other questions I will be asked other than these ones:

RAF General Knowledge
    • What is the role of the RAF today?
    • How long is your initial contract for?
    • Name RAF bases in the UK.
    • Where do we have permanent overseas bases?
    • Where are the RAF currently deployed on operations?
    • Why do YOU think the armed force get involved in operations in countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
    • What do YOU think are the advantages of being in the RAF?
    • What do YOU think are the disadvantages of being in the RAF?

RAF Recruit Training
    • Where is it?
    • How long is it?
    • How is that time broken down?
    -Name the 3 phases of training
    -What are you going to get taught during each phase?

RAF Trade Training
    • Which RAF station is your Trade Training carried out on?
    • How long is it?
    • What are you going to be taught during your trade training?
    • What civilian qualifications will you gain from your trade training?
    • What is the role of your chosen trade within the RAF?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    how many days after you passed your ast is your interview?

ReputationRep:
    I would be prepared to talk about yourself.

It may sound silly but so many peolpe become fixated on 'aircraft issues' (what, where, how many, etc) that they forget to 'revise' personal stuff.

...."Tell me about your school days upto the age of 18 years?"; "What leadership did you demonstrate?"; "What sports did you play, at what level?"

ReputationRep:
    Surely your AFCO would have given you an information sheet on your trade, including the training. If they haven't, ask for it. If they have, use it, all the info you need is on it.

Secondly, don't be nervous, they don't like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzzMan)
    how many days after you passed your ast is your interview?
    Depends on AFCO. Some do them on the same day, some a week later and some ask you to ring up and book when your ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merlin55)
    Depends on AFCO. Some do them on the same day, some a week later and some ask you to ring up and book when your ready.
    On the same day? surely that doesnt give you enough time, to revise?
    Because i thought thats when they give you your sheet with information about your trade?

ReputationRep:
    I never got an information sheet about my trade...

My interview is 2 weeks from the day I did my AST

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzzMan)
    On the same day? surely that doesnt give you enough time, to revise?
    Because i thought thats when they give you your sheet with information about your trade?
    No, it doesn't give you much time. Its just what I've heard on the grapevine, so to speak.

I passed my interview without a trade sheet- all the info you need is online or in books etc anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about buying an online prep course for the interview. Does anyone know/tried jobtestprep.co.uk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitnick)
    I was thinking about buying an online prep course for the interview. Does anyone know/tried jobtestprep.co.uk?
    Why bother? Use your noggin. All the information you're likely to need to pass the interview should come from the AFCO and the RAF Careers / RAF websites in any case. That and any further information you require can be found via one simple to use website: Google. All that will cost you is a bit of personal time and effort - but then, you'll be prepared to spend that for a career you really want, right?

I, too, begin to wonder how today's applicants would manage without the almighty power of the internet...

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ you all worry too much! As nursey says there interested in you than your knowledge of the RAF. When I had my interview he stopped me rather quickly once he realised I knew my stuff. A friend of mine was complemented on his knowledge of the RAF just by stating the bases he lived on.

Also if you go in with pre written answers your interview style is going to be terrible and rigid they want people who can think on there feet and articulate there points clearly wihout sometimes the neccessary preperation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitnick)
    I did and didn't regret it. Do a good amount of practice and it will get your mind in the right gear so you can fly through it on the day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.