Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

An easy way to goto Uni AND not have to pay the new fees (or current ones) Watch

ReputationRep:
    There's a really easy way to get out of the increase in tuition fees.

All people need to do is wait till they are 21, then once 21 if they have been living away from the parental home for 3 years then when filling in the student loan forms they will be classed as a mature student and therefore the 'income' is no longer based upon your family's profession but your own personal income when you are at university.

So when the box comes along which says 'Estimated income whilst at uni' put a big fat zero in the box and suddenly you become one of the people from the lowest socio-economic background and are entitled to a grant and subsidised fees.

ReputationRep:
    You're not using your brain. You would have to pay for living away from home for 3 years and you would lose out on 3 years of your eventual salary as a graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletproof!)
    You're not using your brain. You would have to pay for living away from home for 3 years and you would lose out on 3 years of your eventual salary as a graduate.
    Par.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that would just mean you got more grants? do you really get your fees subsidised to? because you don't need to live away from your parents for 3 years or be over you can put 0 now if you get legally married to someone else who isn't earning above the tax threshold you put their wage and yours not your parents

Are the numbers even out yet? It probably wont make that much difference.

People should wait a few years before going, but not for financial reasons, they should do it so that they fully understand what a degree is worth and make damn sure that they do the best they can. Too many graduates leave wishing they had worked harder.

ReputationRep:
    Hate to shatter your illusions but its 25...I'm a 'mature' student and I started to fill my form out in January when I was still 24 and the stupid web-form couldn't understand that I would be 25 when I started so had to start again the day after I turned 25!

Prior to 25 you either have to have children yourself or be able to prove legal estrangement. Under the current system the only benefit of being an 'older' student is full maintenance grant, still have to pay the same tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    1. What are you supposed to do for 3 years without working and living away from home?
    2. I don't even think it works like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)
    There's a really easy way to get out of the increase in tuition fees.

All people need to do is wait till they are 21, then once 21 if they have been living away from the parental home for 3 years then when filling in the student loan forms they will be classed as a mature student and therefore the 'income' is no longer based upon your family's profession but your own personal income when you are at university.

So when the box comes along which says 'Estimated income whilst at uni' put a big fat zero in the box and suddenly you become one of the people from the lowest socio-economic background and are entitled to a grant and subsidised fees.
    Isn't this abuse of the welfare state? Isn't this encouraging the 'claim' society??
    I'm not conservative...but If everyone took this view- Our economy would be in even worse trouble...

ReputationRep:
    Easier just to prove estrangement. Say that you're gay and your parents disowned you for it, get your parents to agree with this when questioned, say you live in a cardboard box but secretly live with a family member, have your mail sent to the post office for collection. WIN, unless you get caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memifer)
    Hate to shatter your illusions but its 25...I'm a 'mature' student and I started to fill my form out in January when I was still 24 and the stupid web-form couldn't understand that I would be 25 when I started so had to start again the day after I turned 25!

Prior to 25 you either have to have children yourself or be able to prove legal estrangement. Under the current system the only benefit of being an 'older' student is full maintenance grant, still have to pay the same tuition fees.

The future changes to tuition fees means that the poorest don't have to pay them; (which is what my lib dem MP said to me in a letter I received after stating my views via www.theyworkforyou.co.uk and I went to uni at 23 and got the full grant etc and didn't have to prove estrangement!)

With regards to whomever stating that you would lose '3 years of graduate pay' - Would you really? In those 3 years you could be gaining relevant experience to jump up the career ladder after graduation.

For example... if you are psychology graduate you have to work as a support worker or a healthcare assistant on sod all money after graduation to get the experience to get a relevant job. This could have been done before uni and if so would add more colourful experience to essays etc whilst at university.

I'm sure the same goes for lots of other jobs! Also lots of people goto university at 18 then either drop out or get a degree that isn't useful to their later careers as they've changed their mind about their future goals. work experience prior could help people to gain some perspective as well as saving money on fees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffDee)
    Isn't this abuse of the welfare state? Isn't this encouraging the 'claim' society??
    I'm not conservative...but If everyone took this view- Our economy would be in even worse trouble...

Abuse of the welfare state how? Is it right for people who got free university educations to make the decision for everyone else to pay for theres?

People say 'why should people who work in shops pay for others educations' however its mostly other peoples educations that keep them in jobs to start with!
    Moreover Graduates generally contribute more tax to society anyway so pay for themselves in the longrun.

Other ways to 'save the economy' might include axing the Monarchy, reducing the armed services budget or perhaps even taxing big business properly.... They could choose to get a grip on tax exiles.... yet choose not to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.