Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found that when I was applying last year a thread similar to this helped me make an informed decision about whether to apply to Exeter or not!! Now I'm here and it's fun!!

So if you have any general questions please do not be afraid to ask and I will try the best I possibly can to answer them!!! I'm also an Economics and Politics student too so if you want to ask some questions about that then that'll be totally fine!

I hope this will help you as it helped me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lanesra)
    I found that when I was applying last year a thread similar to this - helped me make an informed decision about whether to apply to Exeter or not!! Now I'm here and it's fun!!

So if you have any general questions please do not be afraid to ask and I will try the best I possibly can to answer them!!! I'm also an Economics and Politics student too so if you want to ask some questions about that then that'll be totally fine!

I hope this will help you as it helped me!

What campus are you at?

ReputationRep:
    What accomodation are you in and what do you think of it? What other accomodation is getting good rep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerhales)
    What accomodation are you in and what do you think of it? What other accomodation is getting good rep?
    I'm a first year too, haven't been on here for ages... I'm catered in Ransom Pickard which is part of Exeter Halls. There's 5 buildings all sharing the same dining hall, it's one of the most socialable set of on campus halls. I'd definitely recommend Randy P or Lopes because there's about 60-90 in each building and you don't need key cards to have access to all areas (unlike Penny C which needs a key card for each corridor, ridiculous!). Hope and Lazenby are nice, I don't know too many people from each and those I do know are always hanging out in the other halls.

Randy P looks a bit bleh from the outside but the rooms are modern, pretty big, there's 16 of us per floor and we share a tea room, 3 showers and 4 toilets. Lopes is nice but the building is older so the rooms are either boiling or freezing and they don't all have sinks.

Penny C is like Holland Hall price and facility wise. But don't choose Holland because everyone will hate you. Also Holland is waayy on the other side of campus, which is great for lectures but they almost always take taxis too and from town, it's so far!! And Exeter Halls is only a 10 minute walk from the main campus anyway.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    For people who went catered, how did you find the food and was it ok finding people to sit next to in the dining hall for the first couple of weeks? Also is not going en-suite ok, are there always queues for the shower or is it alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redpanda41)
    For people who went catered, how did you find the food and was it ok finding people to sit next to in the dining hall for the first couple of weeks? Also is not going en-suite ok, are there always queues for the shower or is it alright?
    The food is amazing. I'm a boarding school kid and I couldn't believe it when Exeter provided 4 different main courses :OO And fry up every day. I don't often have to eat lunch.
    Yeah it's fine because you tend to go to dinner with people on your floor for the first week or 2 and then you've hopefully made enough friends that you can't wander in and it doesn't matter.
    I share 3 showers with 16 people and I've never had to queue so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redpanda41)
    can't coment on the catered food as im in lafrowda (enhanced) but as for sharing bath rooms I've never had to que for either the loo or shower (we have 3 of each between 12 of us) with the added bonus of never having to clean a loo or shower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam8472)
    can't coment on the catered food as im in lafrowda (enhanced) but as for sharing bath rooms I've never had to que for either the loo or shower (we have 3 of each between 12 of us) with the added bonus of never having to clean a loo or shower
    That's only Lafrowda enhanced though. Standard has one shower and one bath between 12 :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    That's only Lafrowda enhanced though. Standard has one shower and one bath between 12 :O
    That's why I'd never suggest anyone live in standard

ReputationRep:
    Did you go to Tar Barrel Rolling this year? It was wicked :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel43)
    What campus are you at?
    Streatham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerhales)
    Well I am in Rowancroft which I believe is the furthest away from Streatham (about 20 - 25mins walk but a 5-10mins cycle) but is only about 5 minutes from St. Lukes. I am in an ensuite self-catered (it is one of the cheapest ensuites) but you also have the choice of standard and enhanced rooms which are in Mews or Court. I never chose this especially as I am based at Streatham but what I've seen it's probably the best accommodation in terms of appearance. It is relatively new about 2 years old and is a student complex, which I like. The walk to Streatham can be very annoying especially if you have a 9am start or if you find yourself going back and forth but you do get used to it. I have just chosen to stay on campus all day if I thought the journey back and forth is pointless. Some people take the bus D but obviously that can end up being quite expensive especially on a student budget. It's also about a 10-15 minute walk from town.
    The good thing about Rowancroft is that you get the best of both as a Streatham student as you will also meet Medics and Sport Science students who are based at Peninsula and St. Lukes respectively but you are also with a lot of other people who are based at Streatham (all my flatmates are based at Streatham). I would say that it is perfect apart from the distance from Streatham really.

ReputationRep:
    Were you racially abused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No.1 Loner)
    Were you racially abused?
    No I wasn't racially abused - why do you ask? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Heeellloo,

I have just read someones thread about exeter uni saying it is full of rahs and snobby people.. Would you agree?

This persons thread said they loved the uni on their open day but once they moved in their flatmates had been to private schools and they hadn't so they were abit stuck up towards them and didn't really invite them out places.. They didn't enjoy their time so much they left uni!!!

I really like the course and have got an offer from exeter but live really far away so haven't had the chance to visit yet.. If I like it though I will put it as my first choice but I'm just abit put off about what the majority of people will be like...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jla*missoptimistic)
    Heeellloo,

I have just read someones thread about exeter uni saying it is full of rahs and snobby people.. Would you agree?

This persons thread said they loved the uni on their open day but once they moved in their flatmates had been to private schools and they hadn't so they were abit stuck up towards them and didn't really invite them out places.. They didn't enjoy their time so much they left uni!!!

I really like the course and have got an offer from exeter but live really far away so haven't had the chance to visit yet.. If I like it though I will put it as my first choice but I'm just abit put off about what the majority of people will be like...

Thanks
    Just don't apply to live in Holland Hall and you'll be fine. Come to Exeter Halls woo!
    Really, I've only bumped into a couple of rahs here. Everyone wears Jack Wills but people are so friendly and fun. Exeter is a great place to be.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Mardon Hall, studying History. It truly is the greatest hall, a fantastic blend of tradition (we have our own Gentleman's club etc), modern facilities (think Sky TV and pool table in the common room) and an awesome community spirit! We're catered, and take our meals with Holland. Don't let this put you off though, the food's great and the people are too! We also enjoy a cracking aspect, sitting on the top of a large hill which gives us a lovely view of the river and rolling hills beyond, brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year too, haven't been on here for ages... I'm catered in Ransom Pickard which is part of Exeter Halls. There's 5 buildings all sharing the same dining hall, it's one of the most socialable set of on campus halls. I'd definitely recommend Randy P or Lopes because there's about 60-90 in each building and you don't need key cards to have access to all areas (unlike Penny C which needs a key card for each corridor, ridiculous!). Hope and Lazenby are nice, I don't know too many people from each and those I do know are always hanging out in the other halls.

Randy P looks a bit bleh from the outside but the rooms are modern, pretty big, there's 16 of us per floor and we share a tea room, 3 showers and 4 toilets. Lopes is nice but the building is older so the rooms are either boiling or freezing and they don't all have sinks.

Penny C is like Holland Hall price and facility wise. But don't choose Holland because everyone will hate you. Also Holland is waayy on the other side of campus, which is great for lectures but they almost always take taxis too and from town, it's so far!! And Exeter Halls is only a 10 minute walk from the main campus anyway.

Hope that helps
    hope is AMAZINGGGGG!!!! we tend to hang out together all the time. we're probably the most sociable, and usually have the reputation as the "family hall" because we don't have the whole corridor culture going on, it's just one massive house

ReputationRep:
    Just don't apply to live in Holland Hall and you'll be fine. Come to Exeter Halls woo!
    Really, I've only bumped into a couple of rahs here. Everyone wears Jack Wills but people are so friendly and fun. Exeter is a great place to be.
    Why do you dislike Holland Hall so much??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misha 938)
    Why do you dislike Holland Hall so much??
    It's just stereotyped as the hall where your parents are paying for everything (sort of true)... and they don't have to walk up the hill to campus (coming from a Birk's resident)
    But I know some very lovely people who live in Holland Hall

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.