Good things to cook in bulk & freeze? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can think of
    Chicken curry
    Spag bol
    Pasta bakes
    Lasagne

Anything else that are good ideas?
    I'm a little worried i'll put on lots of weight if i each too much pasta...

ReputationRep:
    Soups and stews too. If you're worried about weight, make some chunky vegetable soups. They're not only healthy for you, but filling and delicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    Soups and stews too. If you're worried about weight, make some chunky vegetable soups. They're not only healthy for you, but filling and delicious.
    How comes vegetable soups wouldn't be healthy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    How comes vegetable soups wouldn't be healthy?
    Uhm. "They're not only healthy for you.."

ReputationRep:
    Noodles and stuff. Mashed potatoes and stuff. Pretty much most things freeze and defrost ok.

Of course, no frozen and defrosted meal comes close to eating freshly cooked hot food.

ReputationRep:
    Chilli just make sure if you use kidney beans that they are piping hot when you reheat them.. and if you freeze the rice, same goes for that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah chilli - dunno what the problem with freezing kidney beans is supposed to be - apart from breaking a tooth perhaps.
    if they were canned or if they were dried and you've cooked them already they're as safe as any other veg after being frozen.

ReputationRep:
    Lasagne will come out pretty soggy if you freeze it. Cooked cheese generally doesn't take freezing very well. You could freeze it raw, though, and just shove it in the oven.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Casserole.

Get some casserole meat (something with lots of fat marbled through it to make it ever so tender), chuck it in a big pot with some veggies (including, but not limited to, carrots, swede, parsnip, celery, onion.... anything you have around really) and a casserole mix, shove it in the oven on a low heat (150-180 degrees) for three hours or so.

Split it into those little boxes you get with Chinese. They can stay frozen for ages and they're such good comfort food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    I can think of
    Chicken curry
    Spag bol
    Pasta bakes
    Lasagne

Anything else that are good ideas?
    I'm a little worried i'll put on lots of weight if i each too much pasta...
    Chilli con carne is great to make in bulk and freeze. Stir fry is also pretty good. Casseroles and stews.

ReputationRep:
    I cook in bulk and freeze lots of things in those chinese takeaway style tins. My most regular things are:

Cottage or shepherds pie
    Steak and ale pie (with uncooked puff pastry on the top)
    Fajita filling
    Soup
    Curry
    Dauphinoise potatoes
    Sausage casserole

....and much more. Anything with sauce tends to work very well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.