Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of starting something Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its been playing in my head for a few good years now. I'm currently working (if you can call it work when your not getting paid :rolleyes: ) at a garage where I'm gaining experience. I had a few months a few years back at the garage and started again after september this year. I can do easily without any problems general services and pad changes (discs I can do as well, but prefer to do it with someone qualified even though I know how to do it without any problems).
    After gaining these experiences, I have been thinking out starting a small business doing servicing and general small jobs and have been thinking a lot about it. Being in west london, I can probably find a small workspace in order to do this, but I was wondering what sort of licenses etc I would need to do it? Personally I was thinking of having just me work and make money myself but also might hire someone qualified as well to help out or if any problems arises (or maybe I'm just worrying too much). Obviously I will wait until I am comfortable as can be before doing something drastic, but there are some cars I see such as mercs and BMW's which I would need much more experience on and some cars I just wouldnt touch without a pole due to the fact I haven't had training (such as a '09 polo that came in last week and you needed a special tool just to take the coil pack apart from the plug; and what helps is that we still havent done it as thieves broke in twice within the space of 2 weeks and took everything the owner had brought over 25 years )
    I've heard in the garage of places in america and uk where they only do servicing and make thousands out of it (obviously big garages, not thinking that far ahead now)

ReputationRep:
    A fire

ReputationRep:
    Go for it once you've got a bit more experience.
    You don't need any licences as such for general maintainence etc, however, you would if you wanted to be an MOT tester.
    You'd need planning permission for your premises but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    If you've not got any tools of your own already, it will probably be worth starting to collect them now. Keep your eyes open and there are some very good deals to be had, but you can guarantee that they'll never be on when you need them. Also shelling out for all the tools you're likely to need in one go will be expensive - it's much easier to buy them as and when you can.

ReputationRep:
    I would wait until you are completely competent fitter/mechanic, can diagnose and solve faults and have a speciality set of brands. I would look into working at stearlership, getting some qualifications from them and then look into setting up your own place.

If you became a master tech for a few brands, you could advertise that and you would be more confident on any type of car, new or old.

So I would wait a few years and get some experience/knowledge in the field before setting up your own business.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just do private work at the weekends?

ReputationRep:
    Its upto you clearly but i personally would aggree with this:
    [QUOTE=gbduo;28965514]I would wait until you are completely competent fitter/mechanic, can diagnose and solve faults and have a speciality set of brands. I would look into working at stearlership, getting some qualifications from them and then look into setting up your own place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.