Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you feel if tuition fees went up even more? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title really:

How would you feel if tuition fees increased to over 9000?

Angry? Despairing? Mislead? Anonymous?

(Original post by Felix101)
      As the title really:

As long as there are loans/grants/bursaries available - I really do not mind.

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't feel anything, because if they went up any more, there'd be outright rioting and the Govt would never get away with it (Hopefully)

ReputationRep:
      OVER 9000! THAT CANT BE RIGHT!!!!

ReputationRep:
      As the title really:

you cant really say much when your applying for 2011?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MylesXD)
      you cant really say much when your applying for 2011?
      Wait what? The government can't act like all our financial lives are belong to them! It's a student wide issue surely.

ReputationRep:
      Wait what? The government can't act like all our financial lives are belong to them! It's a student wide issue surely.
      I think you didn't get what i meant, you are applying for 2011, so your opinion on the matter can be seen as irreverent cause this doesn't affect you. The government can do what it whats as long as it has support of its peers, "our" finances i don't understand? this is not your finances this is the money that has been loaned to you, if you don't like find some other sources of income solves both problems? tbh i find that you have easy, i m British and i get charge £10,498 year so tbh i don't see what all fuse is about

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MylesXD)
      I think you didn't get what i meant, you are applying for 2011, so your opinion on the matter can be seen as irreverent cause this doesn't affect you. The government can do what it whats as long as it has support of its peers, "our" finances i don't understand? this is not your finances this is the money that has been loaned to you, if you don't like find some other sources of income solves both problems? tbh i find that you have easy, i m British and i get charge £10,498 year so tbh i don't see what all fuse is about
      This post has more irony than this thread has room for. Just as an interesting social experiment, can you post a thread stating how you think all those people who have protested etc, who will not be affected by the rise, shouldn't have done so because their view is irrelevant. Although to a large extent self satisfying, I would like to imagine the human race to be capable of at least some level of empathy - and to have these views respected.

ReputationRep:
      The fact is they would have been unlimited if it wasn't for the lib dems. We should be thanking them.

ReputationRep:
      This post has more irony than this thread has room for. Just as an interesting social experiment, can you post a thread stating how you think all those people who have protested etc, who will not be affected by the rise, shouldn't have done so because their view is irrelevant. Although to a large extent self satisfying, I would like to imagine the human race to be capable of at least some level of empathy - and to have these views respected.
      I m surprised your government allow them to protest tbh

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      As long as there are loans/grants/bursaries available - I really do not mind.
      right, yeah :rolleyes:
      they could go up to 50k a year, as long as I can get a massive loan to cover it all that i'll then pay back later...

150k of a persons earnings isn't that much is it..
      I mean, it'll be paid back in manageable payments, that changes everything.
      How many of these manageable payments you'll make and for how long doesn't matter

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      I'd be annoyed and maybe a bit angry, if they affected me, that is, unless they also imposed some more things to counter the effect of these rises. So, basically, making it feel like you aren't paying so much and not getting yourself into debt that you just can't live with. I can't explain that very well.

(Original post by Cll_ws)
        right, yeah :rolleyes:
        they could go up to 50k a year, as long as I can get a massive loan to cover it all that i'll then pay back later...

150k of a persons earnings isn't that much is it..
        I mean, it'll be paid back in manageable payments, that changes everything.
        How many of these manageable payments you'll make and for how long doesn't matter

:facepalm:
        Oh come on, 50k a year? That's just unrealistic and it will never happen.

ReputationRep:
        Somebody else's problem.

ReputationRep:
        As long as it's written off after x years, and I can get a full loan to cover it, I'd go to university even if it cost £1 million per year.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        Oh come on, 50k a year? That's just unrealistic and it will never happen.
        Yes it is, I was exaggerating the amount slightly

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Crazy Paving)
        I'd be annoyed and maybe a bit angry, if they affected me, that is, unless they also imposed some more things to counter the effect of these rises. So, basically, making it feel like you aren't paying so much and not getting yourself into debt that you just can't live with. I can't explain that very well.
        Tution fee repayments could easily go up after you start repaying because the government can adjust the factors that determine the amount of interest you have to pay. For example, G Osborne has said that he wants to find a way of including housing costs in the way CPI is calculated. If he does this and CPI is higher then the amount of interest on the loan will have to go up.The govt could also "adjust" the threshold of 21k, either by changing it or not uprating it for inflation.

ReputationRep:
        For the amount of contact time I'd be getting, I'd vote with my feet. ****, I'm thinking of voting with my feet nwo depending on how my finances will work out. The student loan repayments would be taking cuts directly out of my salary for 30 years. That's not appealing to me AT ALL.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Doubledog)
        Tution fee repayments could easily go up after you start repaying because the government can adjust the factors that determine the amount of interest you have to pay. For example, G Osborne has said that he wants to find a way of including housing costs in the way CPI is calculated. If he does this and CPI is higher then the amount of interest on the loan will have to go up.The govt could also "adjust" the threshold of 21k, either by changing it or not uprating it for inflation.
        Yeah, but there is also the (unlikely) situation that the loans get paid off (with interest) before the increases are imposed. But, unfortunately, that is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Legendary Carrot)
        OVER 9000! THAT CANT BE RIGHT!!!!

YES, OVER 9000!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.