Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My laptop just randomly switches off - something to do with openoffice maybe?!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

Recently my laptop can't stay on for very long, maybe 20 minutes max then after that it just shuts off. It seemed to start happening after I changed my power plan from balanced to "high performance" basically meaning that more battery would be used for a higher performance. It seemed to have automatically switched back to "balanced" after it first randomly switched off but it does seem to be working a lot faster (it was getting unbearable before hence me doing that).

However sometimes as soon as I switch it on it says something failed to terminate something like "soffice.bin" and switches straight off. I also remember that before all this I had been getting some error message from openoffice saying that something else is accessing it? But I haven't got that for a while so I can't remember the exact details. I tried to uninstall openoffice but an error message came up during the process saying it didn't have some key and then my laptop switched off straight after this message so I didn't have long to read it.

Also, it seems to not switch off if I unplug the charger but I'm not sure if this is because it runs out of battery before it would switch itself off anyway?

Anyone got any ideas of how to solve it? It's an Acer Aspire 5735Z btw. Thanks in advance for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, firstly, do you have firewall and anti spyware anti virus software....if you don't then get it, if you do then run a full system scan which will take over an hour usually....just to thoroughly check the whole computer for viruses or anything of the sort. After that you want to Defragment the computer to reduce the capacity being taken up (its usually in the control panel options to do that). Keep it on balanced battery performance since if its on high performance the battery will run down faster (defragging should help your computer speed up a bit). Then go on control panel and uninstall items....any items on there that aren't necessary..whether its a bing bar in your internet explorer or some other add on like that...uninstall it. if none of that works or helps then maybe email the company related to the program you were on about and ask them how to uninstall that program :-)
    hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Two things:

-Could be software (run virus scan etc, maybe try uninstalling openoffice to see if that helps)

-Could be overheating (have you ever cleaned the heatsinks?)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh mine used to overheat and do this

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriends would overheat a lot and his battery is fooked now thanks to it. It would do this, just switch off randomly. He had to clean out the cooling gel section (I think, I wasn't there when he did it haha.) which had accumulated a lot of crap and it worked fine afterwards. His was a dell though so obviously it would be different, there are loads of internet tutorials on how to do it, but I think that'd void warranty and you might want to get a proffessional to do it if you have the money. It isn't a big job though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightWatch)
    My boyfriends would overheat a lot and his battery is fooked now thanks to it. It would do this, just switch off randomly. He had to clean out the cooling gel section (I think, I wasn't there when he did it haha.) which had accumulated a lot of crap and it worked fine afterwards. His was a dell though so obviously it would be different, there are loads of internet tutorials on how to do it, but I think that'd void warranty and you might want to get a proffessional to do it if you have the money. It isn't a big job though.
    Basically, all you need is an air duster (ebay, about £2.50).
    It should come with a little nozzle, point that through the exhaust/intake (turn off the laptop first) and fire
    they're powerful little buggers :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogout)
    Recently my laptop can't stay on for very long, maybe 20 minutes max then after that it just shuts off.

However sometimes as soon as I switch it on it says something failed to terminate something like "soffice.bin" and switches straight off.
    It sounds as if your laptop is hibernating. Sometimes when you start up from hibernation, Windows will try and continue a shutdown procedure (I've never quite worked out why when I have used hibernation). This would probably explain it a) switching off and b) switching off after you start up

How long did your battery last on balanced mode?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.