Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does it take for scars to fade caused by glass Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi does anybody know how long a scar about an inch long to fade. it was caused by glass when i accidently hit the shed window when i slipped on ice. i have had the scar since january 2010 and at the moment it hasn't sseemed to fade and it bothers me so much. its on my right hand and i'm often trying to hide it. help me someone!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Depends how deep it is, if you got it stitched, how clean the edges were etc.

I have one on my arm which is 5 years old and still very clearly visible, so you've probably got some time yet.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a product called Bio Oil, you'll notice it will start to fade after a while, the instructions suggest twice daily for 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Buy a product called Bio Oil, you'll notice it will start to fade after a while, the instructions suggest twice daily for 3 months.
    ^ this I've used it before, though it is expensive

Also it shouldn't take very long, my boyfriend put his arm through glass two years ago, half the width of his arm and half the length was hte size of the cut, a well as other smaller ones, which were the same lenth, just not as wide. they are all gone, jsut the biggest one remains, but it's fading.

you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    i ran into the corner of a wall (i know, fail) when i was 6 and split my forehead. i still have a noticable scar and im 17, so it depends how deep it is and how well it has healed.

the above poster said about Bio Oil so you should try that out since IIRC its made to reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add, Bio Oil is good for scars but it's really massaging the oil in that's the most important part

ReputationRep:
    Use bio-oil yeah. Sells in most places such as boots etc. BUT...

Your scar would look cool where it is. I have one scar from the stupidest thing ever..was sleeping at my mates on the top bunk when little and his cat jumped up onto the bunk and my mate was asleep and I was like, go away cat. So I picked it up and tried to drop it from the top and it hung onto my arm. STILL got the scar now although it looks cool.

Another one, (bigger this time), was when I took a huge chunk of my knee out by falling off a bike onto a load of pebbles. Literally tore my knee apart, couldn't stich it up because it was too deep and the skin had come away too much. It's cool though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Just to add, Bio Oil is good for scars but it's really massaging the oil in that's the most important part
    Ah cool, didn't know this. I've just had a mole removed and will be using bio-oil soon when it starts scarring. Could you tell me why/best ways? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A really long time. Got a scar on my wrist from a glass cut (NOT what you're thinking -_-)...Been 2-3 years and still as prominent as ever.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that after a year then the scar won't change anymore, dunno how true this is though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but I know that if you survive the avada kedavra curse the scar will last for life.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a very small one (about a cm), wasn't too deep but it happened several years ago and the scar has never gone away...

ReputationRep:
    Some scars will fade away to nothing, some will remain and look white. It all depends on your own skin.
    I have a lot of scars, most have faded completely, some remain as white lines. I had a massive very angry red scar on my elbow from coming off a bicycle and that has taken 3 years just to go pinky white, i doubt that will ever go.
    If you are really concerned about what it looks like you can get camouflage makeup to cover it up. however I think that it's mainly how you feel about things as other people tend not to care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeymikey22)
    i ran into the corner of a wall (i know, fail) when i was 6 and split my forehead. i still have a noticable scar and im 17, so it depends how deep it is and how well it has healed.
    Lol exact same happened to me but i'm 19 and it's still there, stupid walls attacking little kids
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    I heard that after a year then the scar won't change anymore, dunno how true this is though.
    Not very.

ReputationRep:
    As other people have mentioned, bio-oil will work wonders. I got scars from glass on my arm about three-four years ago now and they're gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeymikey22)

the above poster said about Bio Oil so you should try that out since IIRC its made to reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks.
    The same thing happened to me! :eek::banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    hi does anybody know how long a scar about an inch long to fade. it was caused by glass when i accidently hit the shed window when i slipped on ice. i have had the scar since january 2010 and at the moment it hasn't sseemed to fade and it bothers me so much. its on my right hand and i'm often trying to hide it. help me someone!!
    Give it time

I put my arm through a car passenger window. At 35mph. It's a very big scar, about 2cm wide at the biggest point and about 10cm long, but it faded eventually and it's practically the same colour as my skin now. If that faded, yours will most likely too. It just takes time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    Give it time

I put my arm through a car passenger window. At 35mph. It's a very big scar, about 2cm wide at the biggest point and about 10cm long, but it faded eventually and it's practically the same colour as my skin now. If that faded, yours will most likely too. It just takes time.
    Hey thank you I hope your right! How did you manage putting your arm through a car window at that speed anyway?xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    I don't know how this would work on your type of scar, but I can't recommend Clinique Dark spot corrector highly enough.

I got burned on my cheek a couple of years ago, I first started using tons of bio oil which worked to make the skin smooth but still visibly darker than surrounding skin. So I tried this clinique thing on a whim and it actually worked, my scar is barely visible now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.