Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will There Be Another Protest, If So When watch

ReputationRep:
    will there be another protest and if so when will it be ???

cheers

Hopefully one every week.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, but I hope there will be

(Original post by supasum)
    will there be another protest and if so when will it be ???

cheers
    Put it this way - I hope not.

Can't people see it hasn't worked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Put it this way - I hope not.

Only because the government has turned a blind eye and gone ahead with it anyway, hardly democratic.
    In terms of public sympathy and voicing our anger, I think we've been very successful, continuing this may have a difference.

ReputationRep:
    no
    all is off
    we have failed
    fall back to the deep

*sounds horn of Gondor

ReputationRep:
    im so academic- You have a very rigid cause/ effect view of protest- in fact nothing is as simple as that- for example the outcry over Iraq did not stop the war but did have a whole host of other positive effects- Turkey refused to allow its territory to be used as a staging ground, saturation bombing stratergies were abandoned, other countries are far less likely to be invaded by the US...

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in having another protest?

Because this one went 'oh so well', with the government paying ABSOLUTELY no attention to the riots going on outside, and all that came out of it was people injured, hospitalized, and an attack on Prince Charles' royal car??

I mean really?! What does this prove?

That a bunch of people can burn christmas trees, break windows, and that their 'message of protest' still doesn't work? Hmmm.

(Original post by im so academic)
    Yes, we can see democracy hasn't worked.

ReputationRep:
    can't you all see that the cuts are for a good reason? and the raising of tuition fees is necessary??

ReputationRep:
    those of you who are academic enough to be going to university, how will i find out when the next one is?

thankyou
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Continue with the protests:happy2:

I don't think the government were ever going to listen to students. I'm just hoping protesters put this government/MP's in their place and show them who's really in control

we voted for them, we should have the right to accept what want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Only because the government has turned a blind eye and gone ahead with it anyway, hardly democratic.
    In terms of public sympathy and voicing our anger, I think we've been very successful, continuing this may have a difference.
    No you haven't.
    Everyone I've spoken to is against the actions of the protesters today.
    My friends and I are ashamed to be known as students, my family and friends outside uni see them as undeserving violent thugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    What is the point in having another protest?

Because this one went 'oh so well', with the government paying ABSOLUTELY no attention to the riots going on outside, and all that came out of it was people injured, hospitalized, and an attack on Prince Charles' royal car??

I mean really?! What does this prove?

That a bunch of people can burn christmas trees, break windows, and that their 'message of protest' still doesn't work? Hmmm.
    Ah, such a very naive view.
    Protest takes time to work.
    This is the nature of protest; everybody knew precisely how the vote would go today, but the protest now has legs, the question is, does it have co ordination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    People forget the basis of democracy. We elect a Government to do as we tell them. With a mere 21 votes difference, it's obvious almost half of Government disagrees with the increase, and most of the country does, too. Students - definitely, tax payers - yes, if they actually understood what was going on, and the implications this has for the future. Less graduates = less high paid jobs = less money = less care for people now when they can't wipe their own ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    People forget the basis of democracy. We elect a Government to do as we tell them. With a mere 21 votes difference, it's obvious almost half of Government disagrees with the increase, and most of the country does, too. Students - definitely, tax payers - yes, if they actually understood what was going on, and the implications this has for the future. Less graduates = less high paid jobs = less money = less care for people now when they can't wipe their own ****.
    No mate, with everyone going to university they devalued the degree and just dropped the average graduate pay to match. The only degrees that really pay off are the ones with a profession at the end of them, like engineering, surveying and accountancy.

Money levels stay the same, just the distribution and competition change. Less people going to university will naturally mean less competition for those with a degree. More people going to university will mean more competition and competitive even pay to match..

What we really need is more professionals, more engineers to design and build stuff. With the rise in tuition fees we might see a rise in people taking more practical degrees because of the raised chances of earning more money. (and their more interesting too :P goo engineering!) This is good for the economy because we get more people earning tax instead of consuming it, and its shared around a lot fairer in the long run...

ReputationRep:
    There most probably will be another protest taking place, or perhaps several more.

I doubt the protesters would give up on such an issue so quickly, considering their participation on previous protests, and most notably today's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Yes, we can see democracy hasn't worked.
    AWWWWWWW yep, blame democracy, "I didnt get what I wanted so it must be democracys fault" sooner or later, you'l break out of your little bubble and see that our country spans farther than your university. We are in a recesion, cuts are everywere. Also, breaking stuff and attacking royals is like a child throwing thier toys out of a pram, you obviosly arent mature enough for protesting

ReputationRep:
    the current 1 is still on, couple of friends are on their way now again for 2nd time for the day!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    There most probably will be another protest taking place, or perhaps several more.

I doubt the protesters would give up on such an issue so quickly, considering their participation on previous protests, and most notably today's.
    Highest estimate I heard was 20k many people put it at far less than that maybe below 10k. There are something like 2 million students in higher education. Pathetic numbers really

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.