Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think, possibly, that I would, maybe, like to be a script writer for Computer Games. How do you find out information about this?! I know that such a job exists, but I can't find out any information about what it really entails, how you get work experience, what qualifications you need, anything really. Does anybody know anywhere that I can get more information about this possible career path?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fang_RedDragon)
    I think, possibly, that I would, maybe, like to be a script writer for Computer Games. How do you find out information about this?! I know that such a job exists, but I can't find out any information about what it really entails, how you get work experience, what qualifications you need, anything really. Does anybody know anywhere that I can get more information about this possible career path?
    You might have better luck asking in a games writer groups than on TSR :-)

There's not going to be any "standard" route as it's such a specific career option and people will come from a wide range of backgrounds (if you google you can find some interviews with game writers to give you a rough idea of background; also linkedin is a great place to look at how people got their jobs). You can also write directly to game writers and ask them, most people are happy to give advice.

To get an idea of the job read the following:

http://www.creoludus.com/IGDA/gwsigQuarterlyQ405.pdf
    http://www.creoludus.com/IGDA/gwsigQuarterlyQ106.pdf
    http://www.creoludus.com/IGDA/gwsigQuarterlyQ206.pdf
    http://www.creoludus.com/IGDA/gwsigQuarterlyQ107.pdf

But in general any kind of work experience in the games industry will help as will writing experience. If you're in London I know a games company looking for an intern at the moment, let me know if you're interested and I'll forward you the details.

ReputationRep:
    Learn C# and C++ then Uscript. Download Visual Studio, nFringe, XNA and UDK...oh and Google that's all you will need. Plus if you really are Female then you will get a job ion the Game Industry a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar goal when I was younger, I found a structure for a video game layout writing script and I suppose what you'd do is do appropriate courses and qualifications and skills etc. (Creative Writing, English, that sorta jizzlytits) then try and make an interview with a game developer with your idea. You'd include (From the top of my head)

- Overview of the game (Quite indepth, I think an average is about 10 pages or so of this)
    - A scrip dialogue for particular scenes which involve interaction between characters/cinematics etc. like you would a normal script including time, location, weather, environment etc.
    - Character summaries
    - Goals/Concept of the game itself

That sorta jazz. I was going to help my friend who was creating a game with some script work, he made a Star Wars mod on the Mount and Blade engine and even got a news article in a PC magazine written about it :L I offered to write some dialogue for him, but I never got round to it though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i totally read the OP wrong!

I thought she meant Scripter not Story Writer!

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant stuff, thanks for the advice tts and Xhotas.

Sadly I don't live in London, my nearest is either Bristol or maybe Cardiff, but at this stage I was just looking for info and advice. Those PDFs look really useful, I shall investigate forthwith!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fang_RedDragon)
    Brilliant stuff, thanks for the advice tts and Xhotas.

Sadly I don't live in London, my nearest is either Bristol or maybe Cardiff, but at this stage I was just looking for info and advice. Those PDFs look really useful, I shall investigate forthwith!
    No prob. There's a couple of game writer groups on LinkedIn that might be worth joining as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.