Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which universities will charge above £6000? watch

ReputationRep:
    All.

ReputationRep:
    They need over £6000 to cover costs anyway, now they're forced to give out bursaries and financially run access schemes- so yeah, all of them.

ReputationRep:
    I think higher ranked uni's will not think twice about charging the £9000 fee.

The rest will be at £6000 a good opportunity to get people to go to them.

All of them, as teaching and research budgets are being cut significantly.

ReputationRep:
    All of them.

ReputationRep:
    All of them, exactly the same way they all charge max tuition fees now even though they were introduced in an effort to make the unis more competative by marking down their prices to attract more students whereas the elite like oxbridge could afford to charge more

ReputationRep:
    only oxbridge and top 20 unis will be able to get away with more then £6000 with out losing students. the rest will have to charge closer to the lower end of £6000 however it will make people think twice about going to uni (whether they can get where they want to through other means)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i'm not sure. Im not sold on the oligopoly style argument whereby all of them will charge that amount. I think the rise - and number of suppliers - is significant enough that certain institutions will simply be unable to convince enough students to attend at that price. The rise should allow a real market for education whereby we can really differentiate the better unis based on a price dictated by demand.

...the only worry i have is that the top ~40 or so will all pump up to the 9k simply because they are scared of the signal a reduced price will send.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    If universities did not charge higher fees, it would be percieved that the specific course is not as high standard as universities which charge higher fees. So I also think that the majority, if not all, universities will charge upwards of £6000.
    To be fair, the perceived difference you speak off is already there.

ReputationRep:
    Surely, if all the universities have the chance to raise the fees to £9000 they all will. They all charged the same before didn't they?

On another note, I shaved my mohawk back in today. I am against the violence, but with some good old fashioned punk I will stick it to the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetalheadA7X)
    Surely, if all the universities have the chance to raise the fees to £9000 they all will. They all charged the same before didn't they?

On another note, I shaved my mohawk back in today. I am against the violence, but with some good old fashioned punk I will stick it to the government.
    they did but the leeway - specifically when considering costs - was minimal any way. Now it is more substantial the differences should be able to show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaddyT)
    they did but the leeway - specifically when considering costs - was minimal any way. Now it is more substantial the differences should be able to show.
    Yes, I concede to your point.

It does make sense for smaller universities to charge less. Will attract more entrants and that may bring a greater profit for them. But in reality I am not too sure if this will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xannny)
    I think higher ranked uni's will not think twice about charging the £9000 fee.

The rest will be at £6000 a good opportunity to get people to go to them.
    No.

They won't care if raising fees means less students come.

ReputationRep:
    Most of them. With the 80% cut in teaching grant they are going to need to.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see the difference between 6000 and 9000 being a dealbreaker for applicants looking at going to 'prestigious' institutions - people kept on going to uni when the fees went from 0 to 3000.

students are going to be getting a lot more vocal about what value for money they get though - sure I can't understand where all my tuitions going, I was chatting to the lecturer on one of my modules who's been brought out of retirement. he gets £20 per hour to lecture us (group of 8) 2 hrs per week + I guess the same again for writing the module and doing the marking. That's 1/8th of the tuition I'll be getting this year. per person that's maybe £800 a year for the whole course. fwiw most modules I'm on have much larger group sizes so the cost of tuition per student should be lower.

seriously - where's the rest of the effing money going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetalheadA7X)

Leeds Met, which is just about a uni, only just started charging the full amount for tution, before it was 2000. If they went to 9000 it would be a joke. Same with other unis at that standard, they simply are not worth that kind of investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Can't see the difference between 6000 and 9000 being a dealbreaker for applicants looking at going to 'prestigious' institutions - people kept on going to uni when the fees went from 0 to 3000.

students are going to be getting a lot more vocal about what value for money they get though - sure I can't understand where all my tuitions going, I was chatting to the lecturer on one of my modules who's been brought out of retirement. he gets £20 per hour to lecture us (group of 8) 2 hrs per week + I guess the same again for writing the module and doing the marking. That's 1/8th of the tuition I'll be getting this year. per person that's maybe £800 a year for the whole course. fwiw most modules I'm on have much larger group sizes so the cost of tuition per student should be lower.

seriously - where's the rest of the effing money going?
    Administration, electricity and other maintenance cost, building cost (rent, does your uni own all its buildings, improving buildings) scholarships and bursaries for poorer students, IT, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge, all of them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    All the uni's would be charging over £6,000. they need £6,000 minimum just to cover their costs and break even.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.