Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will graduate medicine applicants get special treatment for rise in tuition fees? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there any information on this? How will funding for graduate applicants be affected?

ReputationRep:
    Afaik, it's unknown how the NHS funding will be affected. It's not yet decided whether they will cover the £3-6k difference in terms of tuition fees. One would hope that graduate medical schools will appreciate that most new graduates don't have £9k-36k knocking around in their current accounts.

Generally however, I think the consensus is good ****ing luck. Even the career development loan is a drop in the ocean when it comes to funding a 5yr.

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt it. I really need to get into Med School this year. Gulp.

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice idea, but I wouldn't have thought so....

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.

Students on the 4 year accelerated graduate courses can apply for student loans in their first year, and then an NHS means-tested bursary in their clinical years (2-4).

But in 5 year graduate courses students do have to pay all of their fees upfront and receive no financial support until they get the NHS bursary in their 5th year. Hence why these courses are less competitive...

So I can see substantially fewer graduates on the 5 year courses with a raise in fees to ~£9000, I mean "normal" people as such won't be able to afford that, ~£3000 is a struggle as it is for most of the people on these courses.

ReputationRep:
    I wish.

This sucks, I better get in this year and win the lottery. A little 100,000 will do me just fine thanks. C'mon Camelot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    I don't think so.

Students on the 4 year accelerated graduate courses can apply for student loans in their first year, and then an NHS means-tested bursary in their clinical years (2-4).

But in 5 year graduate courses students do have to pay all of their fees upfront and receive no financial support until they get the NHS bursary in their 5th year. Hence why these courses are less competitive...

So I can see substantially fewer graduates on the 5 year courses with a raise in fees to ~£9000, I mean "normal" people as such won't be able to afford that, ~£3000 is a struggle as it is for most of the people on these courses.
    4 year courses can't apply for Grants or Tuition fee loans.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.