Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many people full of resentment for the 2010 World Cup? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And calling it the worst ever etc.

OK, it may not have been exactly the best world cup ever but even last week in the 2018/2022 hosting discussions the dismissal of the South African summer festival as the absolute worst ever refuses to go away. Do some people really have such short memories and forget how appallingly painfully dreadful 2002 in Korea/Japan was?

Common reasons why I hear people saying this:-

The vuvuzelas - yeah OK, always going to divide opinion. But not as anyoning as the sound of gormless twits randomly whistling.
    Star players failing to perform - Rooney, Drogba, Ronaldo..... Erm, this was almost the exact same issue as in 2002 where far more high profile stars failed to shine. And those who call Messi one of this year's flops just because he failed to score a goal really know nothing. Plenty of other class acts made 2010 memorable enough.
    Boring games - I admit the first week was appalling. But it picked up and there were certainly far more fun games than in 2002, a world cup that for me was dead as soon as the knock-outs began, and the complete utter joke that was the Korea circus got underway fluking their progress thanks to biased referees.
    Lack of atmosphere - You could say that about 2002, or even Eurocrap 96. I know that was not a world cup but still a dire tournament full of dull games and where any game not involving England seemed to be only a quarter full.
    Failure of England - Oh please. Get over yourselves and learn to realise this is a WORLD cup and there are other teams worth watching.

Although I think 2006 was slightly more entertaining (and surely perhaps the best of the last 20 years) 2010 was not that bad, was it?

I'd rank and recall as follows:-

2010 - Quite fun. Dreadful first week and dull final too let it down but some fun in between.
    2006 - Brilliant and unforgettable for the most part. After the horrors of 2002, it felt that football was back. The tension of the Italy-France final reminded me why I became a football fan in the first place all those years ago. There may have been a few stinkers in the second round (Swi-Ukr for example) but they were the exception to the rule. Just as many classics in equal measure. So many happy memories.
    2002 - Utter pile of ****e. Nearly all big names failed to deliver. Boring negative dull defensive players shone, the complete joke of Korea, seeing an incredibly poor Germany get an easy ride to the final, seeing an ordinary Brazil win, the whole England-Argentina circus. So many dull games. ****ing hated it. Absolute worst ever.
    1998 - Happy ending certainly but do not understand why so many go overboard calling it the best ever. Some memorable games yes but an equal number of forgettable ones too.
    1994 - Great fun, attacking football is back after the ugly horrors of 1990. Lots of classics. Dull final however. Great fun just being in America.
    1990 - I do have a nostalgic soft spot for this and there were some unforgettable moments of drama (e.g. the two semi-finals plus the emergence of Cameroon) but the plethora of 1-0s and 0-0s was excruciating and no better than 2010.

So many great classics from before 1990 however.

But seriously, why so many people with short memories call SA 2010 the worst ever?

ReputationRep:
    Because it was held in the most racist country in the wolrd maybe. Because all the BBC commentators were biased againts non European team. Because Germany is a better country basically.

ReputationRep:
    It was a **** world cup. Why hold it in such an isloated and violent country inconveniently far from from south america, europe and asia. it was a pathetic choice by FIFA, no doubt it was riding on a mandela bandwagon.

Part of the fun with world cups is what goes on behind the scenes, outside stadiums and at camops and stuff - in sa it's too violent for that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a dreadful World Cup and I watched most of the games with ebbing enthusiasm. I can literally remember 3 games that had anywhere near the excitement of a Premier League match: Italy - Slovakia when the Azzuri went out, Brazil - Holland and the England - Germany game that was just painful so the less said the better.

I think the hype might have contributed to people being disappointed by it, Group G being an example of that. Brazil, Portugal and Ivory Coast together in a group was a great prospect but the games were so dull, Portugal - Brazil being the worst if I remember rightly.
    Having the champions only manage a goal a game through their knockout stage games was also pretty turgid.

ReputationRep:
    Because it was ****ing **** OP
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    North Korea was in it. That says it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    seeing an ordinary Brazil win
    Wholeheartadly agree. Many English fans are butthurt that this time England were well and truly awful, and in the end the 'golden generation' got absolutely destroyed by a very young German side. Some will complain about the Lampard goal, but the truth is, it wouldnt have made any difference. Every attack Germany were ripping them a new one.

Anyway, I agree except for the quoted bit. That 02 team was one of the best ever IMO. Players such as Cafu, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Rivaldo etc.

For the '10 WC though, I thought it was pretty good. It had some stinkers, but it some really exciting matches aswell.

ReputationRep:
    terrible world cup. So many boring, poor quality matches.

And the supporters in the stadiums - not real football fans, more concerned with blowing on their ****ing vuvuzelas than actually watching the football itself. Go to a ****ing music event if you want to make that level of noise, not to a football match.

Germany comfortably played the most attractive football, IMO. Quick moving, attacked with pace. Spain were OK on the eye, if not a bit too one-dimensional on the eye but hey, it works for them.

England were **** and that certainly didn't help matters.

I just feel that Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 are going to be even worse. You probably get better football and a better quality events with the Euros these days. I'm quite happy with my premiership and lower league football and with the champions league. This will remain the way until something is done about Platini, Blatter, FIFA and the FIFA executives, who are ****ing up the game this country created.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Because it was ****ing **** OP
    very rarely do you get things right with your posts, but on this occasion...

...nail on the head.

ReputationRep:
    Most international football is boring TBH. We've been spoilt in this country by getting to watch the 100mph gung-ho style of the premiership, and everything else seems kinda slow and defensive by comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Anyway, I agree except for the quoted bit. That 02 team was one of the best ever IMO. Players such as Cafu, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Rivaldo etc.

For the '10 WC though, I thought it was pretty good. It had some stinkers, but it some really exciting matches aswell.
    Best ever? When they were in danger of failing to even qualify then got put in an easy group with China and Costa Rica? Rivaldo and Ronaldinho are extremely overrated and as there are classier players than Lucio and Gilberto Silva. I take it you have no knowledge of Brazil circa 1958, 1970 or 1982/1986. Heck, even 1994. (Romario, Bebeto, Careca etc) Argentina could have and should have won it but no they got put in the hardest group and yer precious Prince Beckham had to have his media-hyped "special moment" didn't he? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The first week was awful. Once it got to the knockouts and last round of the group stage matches the matches improved dramatically.

Definitely not the best world cup ever, probably just about average. Very rarely is a world cup actually that exciting.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think it was that bad tbh :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Didn't think it was that bad tbh :holmes:
    trust me son, it was. 5live's Alan Green said so, so it's the truth innit.

It was a crap world cup and it wasn't just the first week that was bad. It was rubbish for the first two weeks and only a handful of games grabbed my attention. Even the final was one of the better games because it was at least eventful, full of bad tackles, kung-fu kicks etc..

good for all the wrong reasons really :cool:

ReputationRep:
    loll i dont get what the whole fuss about vuvuzelas was about i mean it was their culture or what not - football players have to man up n deal with it loll i really didnt find them that bad... quite jokes actually... n i swear the atmosphere was better than other world cups... i mean was it only me who saw africans dancing in the stands with a full drum kit lolllll

hu ever sed SA was racist... are u colour blind... most people there are black and they dont even care whether u are white or asian or whatever colour u are loll i felt they were 1 country who felt priviledged to host the WC. It might be dangerous but as is all places which hold the world cup... i mean u cant say England doesnt have hooligans! n i agree with the first person... England was rubbish but there are always teams which are x10 better to watch anyway seeming as it was the WORLD playing!!!

we all need to accept defeat and admit when we played **** instead of blaming others for the altitude and the shape of the ball!!! get over the fact Russia are hosting the next 1 cos we cant even build a decent stadium for the Olympics let alone fund a World Cup in the upcoming years when we are meant to be having cut backs!!! seriously... :| on a happy note tho i thought the world cup wasnt all too bad this year... it got better as it progressed! lolllll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    trust me son, it was. 5live's Alan Green said so, so it's the truth innit.

It was a crap world cup and it wasn't just the first week that was bad. It was rubbish for the first two weeks and only a handful of games grabbed my attention. Even the final was one of the better games because it was at least eventful, full of bad tackles, kung-fu kicks etc..

good for all the wrong reasons really :cool:
    List of reasons why it was good:

1. Adebayor on the Beeb
    2. UK time zone :awesome:
    3. Favourites and eventual winners were defeated on Matchday 1
    4. Uruguay v Ghana :sogood:
    5. Capello being embarrassed
    6. South Africans at the very least cared about their team. Will it be the same in Qatar?

Will add to this as/when I feel appropriate :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    List of reasons why it was good:

1. Adebayor on the Beeb
    2. UK time zone :awesome:
    3. Favourites and eventual winners were defeated on Matchday 1
    4. Uruguay v Ghana :sogood:
    5. Capello being embarrassed
    6. South Africans at the very least cared about their team. Will it be the same in Qatar?

Will add to this as/when I feel appropriate :yep:
    Adebayor and Desailley were useless, especially Desailley who appeared so crazy about Ghana, was born in Ghana but never actually bothered to represent the country of his birth. Shame on his black ass.

UK time zone - good, Capello crumble - good, the South Africans were more concerned with banging on drums and blowing on vuvuzelas than actually watching the football itself.

ReputationRep:
    Adebayor and Desailley were useless, especially Desailley who appeared so crazy about Ghana, was born in Ghana but never actually bothered to represent the country of his birth. Shame on his black ass.

UK time zone - good, Capello crumble - good, the South Africans were more concerned with banging on drums and blowing on vuvuzelas than actually watching the football itself.

lollllll i loved the ghana matches loll bare representing half of me lolll altho i genuinely cried when they missed the penalty lolll i think they did kinda well tho to get so far... dunno if it was luck or actual skill tho lolllll

ReputationRep:
    Colbert brings up a great point. How can any world cup with an epic game like Uruguay vs Ghana be considered a bad one? Awesome match.

ReputationRep:

Agree with the Desailly comment, was embarrassing to see him contantly orgasm over them and made you wonder wtf life choices he has made throughout his career

Adebayor was truly horrific, arguably the worst pundit in history but ITV do their best to ensure he can't be given that crown. Southgate trying to explain Chile's formation was just :facepalm2:

I disagree about the South Africans though, they genuinely seemed passionate about their team and the sport in general tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.